PDA

View Full Version : Great-crested Flycatcher mid-flight Food Exchange.

Daniel Cadieux
11-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Here's a fun one I hadn't yet processed from the summer. I do wish I had a better profile angle from the adult coming in, but thought this was neat behaviour to share.

The parents were rather unpredictable in which direction they would come from to feed the young, but on this occasion I got my reflexes and timing just right. Pretty incredible precision on the part of these guys on the feeding behaviour on this in-flight exchange. Other times the parent would just cling woodpecker-style to feed the youngsters, or just enter completely inside the hole. Perhaps difficult to tell from this small web-sized photo, but the food morsel is a nice thick juicy dragonfly...junior looks happy about it!!

Canon 7D + 100-400L @200mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/8, ISO 800, natural light, handheld. cropped for composition, a few highlights in the BG tamed via burn tool and 30% clone tool.

gail bisson
11-28-2011, 06:01 AM
What a great shot. The heads are tack sharp and the little wing blur is good. Very difficult shooting light but you nailed it. The perfect timing of the meal delivery makes this contest material in a behavioural category, I think. 10 out of 10 on this one. Why do I bother posting my not-nearly -as -good images right after you...?:e3
I am a sucker for punishment!
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
11-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Lovely shot Dan, great timing and exposure, you obviously knew when to be there!
Just a tiny weeny point you may wish to consider, there appears to be an arc shaped shadow on the tree running between the two birds - maybe a little patching on the junction would make it less obvious.

Joe Senzatimore
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Nice timing and action captured. Tough light handled well.

Grace Scalzo
11-28-2011, 07:48 AM
The natural light is lovely. Perfect, even, golden. Behavior is interesting, and rarely seen and photographed (to my knowledge). Another great image of yours, Daniel.

Randy Stout
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Daniel:

Great timing and interesting behaviour. Agree about the angle on the adult, but both eyes are visible( and with catchlight), action well captured.

Congrats.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
So very cool. what great timing Daniel.

Stu Bowie
11-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Dan, I actually dont mind the angle of the adult - I feel the focus is on junior receiving his meal. Everything sharp where it needs to be. These arent easy to get right, so very well done.

Dave Leroy
11-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I am amazed that you were able to get so darn close to the action and at eye level. 200mm! Very well done and great action captured.

Melissa Groo
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Superb behavior capture, Daniel. Wonderful timing on your part. Looks like your hard work really paid off here. Very special image.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Awesome timing, Dan. The spectacular interaction combined with the great light and the IQ trump any profile angle issues for me. I love it!

Dan Busby
11-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Very nice Daniel - you made a very tough situation work for you. At 200 mm were you in a blind of some sort? Either that or you had them habituated to your presence. Sharp where it needs to be and perfect timing. Impressive!

dankearl
11-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Daniel, while not perfect, I am in awe you got the shot you did. The timing and patience you have for these photos
is inspiring.
Getting "the moment" is fantastic work.

MohsenVahedipour
12-01-2011, 12:59 AM
What an excellent timing! Two birds with sharp heads & one with sweet HA. TFS