PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Path

Cheryl Slechta
11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
This is a statue of Buddha that is at the end of a path in the Bamboo Garden part of Kanapaha Gardens, the local botanical garden in Gainesville. This is a 3 exposure HDR image (actually 2 HDR images). The first I used Topaz Simplify and Adjust Painterly. The second HDR image I used a Topaz B&W preset that gave it a desaturated look. I then layered the B&W image over the Painterly image and selectively revealed parts of the bottom layer. This is one of the most peaceful places in the gardens and I can sit there for hours (when the mosquitoes aren't out:S3:)

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Steve Adkins
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow, Cheryl! Perfect theme image and I like the way you used just enough HDR. To quote Buddha...Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. Well done! :cheers:

Jay Sheinfield
11-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Cheryl this is extraordinary. The light is magical and the leading path to the Buddha is so inviting. The processing on this is wonderful. Fantastic work!

denise ippolito
11-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Cheryl, I love the way you composed this. The path leads right to the Buddha. It has a very peaceful look to it.:S3:

Dennis Bishop
11-28-2011, 10:53 AM
This is very rich in color. It's appropriate that there's so much blue. At least there was a recollection of that in the trivia storage area in my head, so I googled the psychology of blue. Here's what showed up. "Blue calls to mind feelings of calmness or serenity. It is often described as peaceful, tranquil, secure, and orderly."

Dynamite composition, too. The curved lines of the bamboo(?), the vertical and horizontal portions of the walkway, and the sign pointing back up to the top all work to keep the viewer's eyes in the image. Not that they wouldn't want to stay there, anyway ...

James Shadle
11-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Cheryl,
I really like this image! The color, soft look and composition all draw your eye to the statue and the sign balances out the composition.
I'm just curious, would a vertical composition be possible?

I ask for two reasons. First I feel a little more room under the sign would be beneficial. Second, I feel a longer path to Buddha would increase the psychological/emotional impact.

Indranil Sircar
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Wonderful composition, Cheryl. I love all the elements and how it has come together. The canopy of the curved bamboo and the path leading all the way to Buddha is just wonderful! The color and the soft light brings out the essence of the peaceful path... outstanding processing and certainly one of your best!

Andrew McLachlan
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Cheryl, love this comp. The walkway is great leading up to the Budda. I like James' vertical suggestion and might be worth experimenting with next time.

Cheryl Slechta
11-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your comments. James, I have several images with different perspectives. I'll try to post one of them later this week.:S3:

Brendan Dozier
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Like this very much, Cheryl. Very quiet & peaceful.

Judy Howle
11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
I love the composition and colors; it really draws your eye into the Buddha and the sign in the foreground adds a lot of interest.

Bob Miller
11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
HI Cheryl.....This is a wonderful image that the budda himself would find peace in! Great work!