PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for posting on your own website

Stan Cunningham
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I know there is a limit here and I have an action that is very helpful.
But I'm in the process of developing a professional site and I'd like to have the highest quality posted than I can.
I know it doesn't need to be large but would going up to 1 or 2 mb help and still keep the image from really being pirated?
I hope this in not a redundant question but I could not find the topic under the search engine.
Thanks.

Roger Clark
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I know there is a limit here and I have an action that is very helpful.
But I'm in the process of developing a professional site and I'd like to have the highest quality posted than I can.
I know it doesn't need to be large but would going up to 1 or 2 mb help and still keep the image from really being pirated?
I hope this in not a redundant question but I could not find the topic under the search engine.
Thanks.

Hi Stan,
Any image you put on a web site can, and if a quality image, probably will be pirated. Most people probably would not like the download times for 1 and 2 mbyte images. Probably best to keep them under about 200K (perhaps occasional high detail images under 300kbytes.
I have been told that for a commercial site, one needs pages that load very fast for the user (meaning your end should not be a bottleneck, and images small enough to load fast on their machine with their connection. Also, clean code that runs fast. When I visit a web site, if it takes a long time for a page to load, I leave. Meaning, I want to see results in a couple of seconds. I've gone to some photographers web sites where one enters a gallery and 30 seconds later something is still loading. No thanks. Hope this helps. Just my opinion.

Roger

Daniel Cadieux
11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Do you mean 1 to 2mb per image? That would be alot. I'm thinking of resizing my images too as monitors are now much bigger with better resolution than when I started (mine are currently only 500 pixels on the long side). I'm thinking 700 to 800 pixels on the long side, but will keep my images closer to about 100kb each. Much faster to load the page for your visitors, especially if you have many images on every page, and less bandwidth uploaded and download if that is something you need to watch out for...

edit: sorry for some of the repetitions...Roger seemingly types faster than I do!! :-)