PDA

View Full Version : New Island Landscape

Norm Dulak
11-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Nikon D300 w/Tokina f/2.8 11-16mm lens @ 16mm, hand held
ISO 640, f/11, 1/100 sec, MM -0.67
PP: PS CS5 levels and curves

As far as the eye could see, nesting black-browed albatrosses and rockhopper penguins colonized this landscape at New Island, the Falklands. The ultra wide-angle lens was used to capture as much of the scene as possible.

Norm

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I really like the scene here, Norm. Good use of diagonals to lead the eye deeper into the scene. Would love to visit the Falklands one day.

Here is a repost in which I just tweaked saturation a bit. I realise the weather in these places is often "grey and cold" but felt there was a bit more vibrance in the image that could be teased out. I might have overdid it, but you'll get the idea...:w3

Norm Dulak
11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I really like the scene here, Norm. Good use of diagonals to lead the eye deeper into the scene. Would love to visit the Falklands one day.

Here is a repost in which I just tweaked saturation a bit. I realise the weather in these places is often "grey and cold" but felt there was a bit more vibrance in the image that could be teased out. I might have overdid it, but you'll get the idea...:w3

Thanks Morkel, for your comments and the vibrance you've added.

And I hope you'll be able to add the Falklands, South Georgia Island and the Antarctic peninsula to the places you'll visit one day. You will appreciate the photographic opportunities they offer.

Jay Gould
11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Love it Norm, I stood exactly in the same place in January 2010. The most magical trip of my life!!

Rachel Hollander
11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Norm - very nice and Morkel's repost improves it. A place I too hope to get to some day.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Norm,

Morkel's repost added some snap to the image.

For me, having the albatross in the lower right at the image's edge is distracting. Of course if there are a lot of albatrosses then getting a clean edge may be hard. In which case you either have to be willing to clone it out or reposition in hopes of removing edge distractions.

Norm Dulak
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I agree with Robert that there can be problems when deciding where to frame an image when there is a continuum of birds. I'm not necessarily the best at deciding where to draw the line, and I regret the distracting bird at the edge.

Andrew Aveley
11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for adding more desire to visit this unique and amazing place:eek3:

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Norm,
love this capture. I like Morkel's repost for the added snap it provides. I too hope to stand there someday.