PDA

View Full Version : fair size tusks

Tom Graham
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
This bull ele mostly an example of what can pop out of the brush/trees at any time in Kruger National Park.
Sep 2009, just slowly driving, looking, when bang this big bull steps out along side road. Feeding on grass of course. I was excited, those big tusks, he must be one of the well-known, named, Kruger tuskers!!! But as far as I can determine, nope, just a nice size bull. Was still heart sopping to have him 10 meters from our car.
Nikon D40X, 1/500, f8, ISO 450, 18-200mm at 46mm. Cropped a little, colored to taste, etc. Yes I know, the top part of the tusk is blown out white.
And FWIW, there is so much detail in the BG leaves, grass and such that to stay under BPN 250K limit I had to save at Photoshop 2. Might explain why it looks like a mess of jitters?
Tom

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Looks like a 'big old unit' Tom, with some impressive tusks, perhaps the largest I have seen for a while.

I would try adding some Contrast/Curves overall and then some selective Levels and perhaps a hint more Curves on the Elephant, if required. It also needs some selective sharpening on the elephant, not sure what is happening on the ear, as there is very little definition, clarity there, plus in parts along the ridge of the back? There is tone within the tusk so I cannot see any 'blown' areas?

Re the quality, I am a little puzzled, as I feel the majority of people would also have similar issues throughout the Forum? From the final hi res file at 16bit I will crop, add a hint of sharpening if required, save to 8bit then flatten, save for web, even if it's around 64-72+ image quality, the image looks good for web or projection.

TFS
Steve

Tom Graham
11-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks Steve. I didn't do too much to original jpg. After posting I also noticed the ear does not seem sharp. A bit puzzling, but guess could do some selective sharpening on it. The blown bits on the tusk is not all that bad but just thought I'd mention it up front. And also think the sky is a bit cyan.
About image quality, I do have a couple of images I started to post here but did not because of loss of IQ (seen in "Preview Post"). I wish could post examples of them at different quality levels. But in the appropriate forum (not here). They also involved detailed complex backgrounds (i.e. not even "simple bird sky" :S3: ).
But I'm sure those professionals here in information theory/signal processing would find it faulty. There was some discussion here not long ago (Sep 18) on another thread regarding such - http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/89393-JPEG-Compression.

Anyway, thanks again and I encourage anyone who gets a opportunity to self drive Kruger to do it.

Tom

Tom Graham
11-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Going back to original jpg and cropping in on ear. It is blurred by movement!!! One might think that 1/500 sec shutter would nicely freeze an ele'e ear movement - but guess not!!! Here is the crop -
(I have several other shots, some of ele approaching, 3/4 view)
Tom

Ken Watkins
11-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Tom,

Nice Elephant, pity about the BG being so busy, you could try blurring it a bit as this will dull down the contrast.

All of the Big Tuskers are long gone, their skulls and tusks can be seen in the museum at Letaba.

But I understand, and this is clear evidence of it that there are many "monsters" on their way up.

Interesting effect on the ear, just goes to show you nearly always need a fast shutter speed, even with slow moving animals.

Steve Kaluski
11-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Tom, thanks for the feedback and always good to add anything you have concerns about, thoughts, or require advice in the intro of the OP. I would have thought based on the SS and lens used you would have has enough speed (using the rule of 200mm lens, min SS 1/200), however there is always next time.

Also, as you say, this part of the Forum is really about 'critiquing of the image' therefore, if people want to discuss file size/image quality etc, then there are better areas to do this within the Forum. :w3

Dumay de Boulle
11-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Great tusks and I agree with your sentiment that if anyone gets the opportunity to drive them selves through Kruger they should do it...Re image, the Surroundings are too busy (Mopani tress are overpowering), Overall the image is too bright (tone it down slightly). IQ is pretty poor overall...Go back to your workflow and try saving for web the way Steve K suggests on the sticky on topp of the posted threads.

Rachel Hollander
11-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Tom - those tusks are big! Good advice and suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2011, 01:19 PM
He sure is a big boy - and yes Kruger has lots of surprises for the patient ones! :bg3:
I have not seen an ellie with tusks like these in a while in Kruger - at least not close-ish...

Regarding IQ - I am sure you can pull more out of this one Tom, even when keeping it below 250kb...but we have discussed workflow before.
I would tone down overall brightness too...

I like the auburn colours of the mopani leaves in late winter - it creates a wonderful backdrop in Kruger.

Harshad Barve
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Tom - those tusks are big! Good advice and suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Plus one here
TFS

Tom Graham
11-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah, like I said, I was excited, thought I'd seen one of the well known Kruger tuskers, about 6-10 (?) of them are "named". See - http://www.krugerpark.co.za/krugerpark-times-19-big-tuskers-18028.html . After Kruger I went to Kirkmans Kamp in Sabi Sand reserve and they had a reference book (photos) of the well known Kruger big boys. But this one was not in it!!!! He was too small!!!
Tom

Egil Droge
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Those are big tusks! I would be surprised if he is not known.
Maybe you could post some pictures in this thread: http://sanparks.org.za/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2488&sid=97778f069e280bfc659469e6343c1cd1&start=2385
There's a guy there who keeps track of all known tuskers.

Kiran Khanzode
12-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Nice tusks on him Tom, but severely lacking in other departments. A wider comp would have been better, IQ and light are miserable. Hope you can get a better shot of him next time.:cheers:

Tom Graham
12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
"severely lacking . . . . IQ and light are miserable"
OUCH !!!! :t3
Tom