PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah Rumble

Morkel Erasmus
11-27-2011, 06:19 AM
I am back from a quick 7-day trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in the Kalahari desert, South Africa. It was a veritable "Cheetah Fest" (even though we saw both lion and cheetah every day, the lions were generally being lazy as usual).

This has to be one of the prime spots in Africa to view and photograph cheetah. We saw 12 individuals in total, spread out through 8 sightings in 7 days (all self-driven with no guides and trackers). Among these sightings, we witnessed one kill from start to finish, one unsuccessful hunt, one family feasting on an already made kill.

On this particular morning we found a female named "Gertie" with her 2 cubs drinking at a waterhole. She was carefully watching some springbok further down the dry Auob riverbed (and would eventually stalk them and make a kill) while her youngsters were playing and exploring the area.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II + 1.4x TC @ 700mm
f8.0 @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO-720
Cropped slightly from top, bottom and LHS

gail bisson
11-27-2011, 06:26 AM
I like everything about this image- the comp, the yellows and browns,the dust, and the similar curves in the backs and the interaction. I might add a hair mor canvas on the right and clone out the clump of elephant dung on the lower right. 10 out of 10 on this one,
Gail

Rachel Hollander
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Morkel - This is fantastic - sharp where it counts, great sense of movement and action, nice colors and warmth. If this is any indication, it looks like a successful trip. Looking forward to seeing more.

:cheers::cheers:
TFS,
Rachel

Grant Atkinson
11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Super image Morkel, really like the way the two cats are positioned relative to one another. Also really like the pose of the left cheetah, with the straight back going on into that perfectly curved tail. Techs look good. Great work.
cheers
Grant

Kiran Khanzode
11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Great choice of frame to showcase from what appears to be some quick action, Morkel Bhai. I love that you shot this at f/8, keeping both of them in focus. Also the light is great, the body lines compliment each other and the eyes are visible so clearly. Comp is also well balanced, pano works nicely. I don't see any dung in the scene, I think they are rocks.

:cheers:

Kiran

Marc Mol
11-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Loving the golden light and interplay here Morkel.:cheers:

John Ippolito
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Morkel, lovely light, composition, and action captured in the dusty riverbed. I think I know this family. Well done indeed!!

Steve Kaluski
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Cool shot Morkel, nicely balance.

TFS
Steve

RakeshDhareshwar
11-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Amazing action shot !! The DOF is awesome !!

Ken Watkins
11-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Morkel,

Marvelous action captire here, you certainly did better for Cheetah than we did:S3:

Dumay de Boulle
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Welcome back mate..The interaction is great and I enjoy the dust. Very nice!

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your kind feedback, folks. I was very happy to see this in the viewfinder :t3.
The elements in the FG are indeed rocks...

Harshad Barve
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Great choice of frame to showcase from what appears to be some quick action, Morkel Bhai. I love that you shot this at f/8, keeping both of them in focus. Also the light is great, the body lines compliment each other and the eyes are visible so clearly. Comp is also well balanced, pano works nicely. I don't see any dung in the scene, I think they are rocks.

:cheers:

Kiran

Plus one here Bhai , excellent image
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Can I ask, why elephant dung is considered objectionable, it is everywhere in Africa?