PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Falls HDR

Steve Adkins
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Travel on the North Shore Drive of Lake Superior until you reach the Canadian border and you will find the Pigeon Rivers Falls area.
I took a 5 bracket HDR with a 10ND filter. Longest exposure was 30 sec. Cloned a tree branch bottom center.
Cloudy day. I processed to try and emphasize the rock texture and smooth the water flow.
The hardest part was having to deal with the wooden overhang, viewing platform that registered everyone's footsteps. :S3:

All C&C welcome.

Andrew McLachlan
11-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi Steve, love the slight grunge look to this one and the centered cascade. I visited here briefly during a trip around the north shore a couple of years ago. An incredible landscape to photograph. I am assuming this is the view from the US side of the border. Nice work!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Very nice comp, but it really has a blue cast on my moniter. Would love to visit some time

Rachel Hollander
11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Steve - I like the comp but unfortunately for me this one of those HDRs that looks too processed and no longer looks like a photo. That may be what you were going for, just not a style I enjoy as much. I wonder if less exposures would look more like a photo. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I am good with the grunge look and this subject (rocks) lends itself to the treatment.

At the top, I find the rocks too close to the image edge. I would try removing cyan and/or blue from the image for a more neutral look to the rocks as a alternative.

What software did you use for the HDR? Would also like to know equipment used and exposure of all images. Thanks for posting Steve.

Steve Adkins
11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks folks. Appreciate your comments. I understand that this type of HDR is not everyone's cup of tea. :S3:
And yes, Andrew, this was the U.S. side.

Steve Adkins
11-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Robert, Our posts crossed.
Thanks for the comment. I used HDR Efex Pro for the software conversion to HDR.
Lens was a 24-70 Nikkor @70mm, D700 Nikon.
Neutral Density filter - by L.C.W. - ND500
Exposures were 30 sec, 15 sec, 8 sec, 4 sec and 2 sec.
I've attached a reworked copy that lowered blue and, just for fun, I added (cloned/copied/blended) a bit more room at the top. Thanks for looking.

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the repost Steve. I like this a lot. Nice work.

Morkel Erasmus
11-30-2011, 02:57 AM
I certainly like it more without the strong cyan/blue cast, Steve. Nice scene and details well handled. I agree this kind of HDR has its place. I used to enjoy it more than I do these days, but I think you did a good job with it :bg3:

The room at the top helps too...

Andrew Aveley
11-30-2011, 02:07 PM
mmmmm maybe less is more on this one with my taistes but a great scene well photographed :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andrew McLachlan
11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Steve, I prefer the repost too, although I still think the original is kinda cool. I like the addition to the top edge. Having been there I know there isn't much to work with above the falls before the sky intrudes, especially from your below the falls vantage point.