PDA

View Full Version : An Old Chimpanzee

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-25-2011, 12:43 PM
A close-up shot of an old Chimpanzee, at Chimfunshi. Its an orphanage for Chimpanzees in the Copperbelt Province of Western Zambia, run by Mrs. Sheila Siddle and her daughter.
[Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8]
1/100s, f/5.6, ISO-400

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/Prabir-2010/Chimp-2.jpg

Thanks for C&C.

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Prabir, welcome aboard.

The image gives a nice feeling of 'in your face',whether that is through the crop or in camera as FF image, works for me. I think it has a nice feel overall, almost paparazzi up close & personal approach. Great detail and nicely processed, although I might suggest trying to Dodge & Burn in thae top RH corner, just a hint more tone would really help IMHO.

The contours and wrinkles certain convey a wise, old chimp with an expression of seen it, done it. Also at 1/100 sec congrats on that.

Look forward to more.

TFS
Steve :cheers:

Hilary Hann
11-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Prabir, Steve makes some excellent points. I like the quality of the eyes which you have portrayed so well, there is a hint of sadness and wisdom in them. I'd like to think a hint of hope also, but that is being fanciful I fear. The top rhs does draw the eye and I have found the PS dodge and burn tool can give a nasty grey look. Perhaps the dodge and burn luminosity mask might give a better result but without trying it on this image, I don't know for sure. To make your mask just create a new layer and fill it with 50% grey, changing the blend mode to soft light. Then paint with the brush tool (black to darken, white to lighten) on a very small opacity % to give a natural look to it.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Steve, Hilary - thanks to both of you for your valuable comments and suggestions.
Steve, its an FF shot and I was fortunate to have my nifty fifty mounted on my 60D.
I had spent a few hours there to watch their expressions. The best was this one.

Steve Kaluski
11-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Looks like the 'nifty fifty' paid off, great result, can't wait to see the results when it comes to big cats. :bg3:

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks Steve.
Well, I didn't use nifty fifty with big cats.
I will post big cats after a while.

Steve Canuel
11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
A nice portrait. The eyes look perfect for this image.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks a lot, Steve.

Harshad Barve
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Welcome to wild life Prabir
TFS

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks a lot, Harshad.