PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Bud

Julie Kenward
11-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I have had this image for 3 years and have tried many different things to make it into something more than what it was. I'm still not sure I'm where I want to be with it but thought I'd throw it out and see what everyone likes/dislikes about it.

I took the original image which had a very diffused, pastel floral BG to it and bumped it up with one of my twist images overlayed as a texture layer. I then masked off the bud and stem and added a bit of blur to the BG and finished with a burning of the frame's edges.

(Sorry about the image size but it was a pretty big file by the time I went to upload it!)

Steve Adkins
11-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I really like what you have made this into, Julie. The BG is gorgeous and while it's bold and textured/colorful, the bud's colors still shine through. The backlit bud is well handled and I might be tempted to tone down or tint the rim light ever so slightly, but not so much as to match the BG tone/brightness. I think this would make a very attractive print. :S3:

Dennis Bishop
11-25-2011, 01:33 PM
This is wonderful, Jules. I think I agree with Steve about the backlit edge (more so on the left), but this image has a lot going for it. The colors are outstanding. The background is heavier at the bottom, where it should be, and -- while it's a strong part of the image -- it's not overpowering. I've commented so much about divine proportion, lately, I hesitate to do it, again. Nevertheless ... I knew the composition was very good, but I superimposed the golden rectangle grid over it, and wow! There is so much right about it. No wonder I like it so much.

Julie Kenward
11-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you Steve and Dennis...I also had the afterthought of toning down the rim but was so tired of working on it...well, you know how it is! I think I will go back and redo that part with just a light hint of the pale green at a 10-20% pass. Thank you both for confirming that choice.

denise ippolito
11-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Jules, I like this too and agree about the highlights on the edge of the bud. I might try to blend the vignette just a tiny bit more if it were mine.:S3:

Brendan Dozier
11-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Nicely composed, Jules, and like the rich texture of BG. Agree on toning down the hightlights on the bud. IMHO the image seems a little light and washed out just a bit. I feel the need to deepen the richness of the colors and compliment the bud more. If this were mine, I would use color adjustments selectively on the BG only to bring out a just a bit more of the reds and reduce the greens. Would also, lower levels of BG to darken a little, and selectively apply just bit of curves on the bud.

Gus Hallgren
11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi Julie;

Love it in all its beauty, especially like your background. As far as the edges go, if you feel they are too dark. I would have first duplicated it, used the retangular marquee tool just inside your darker edges, Select>inverse and lower the opacity to personal taste. For me I love it as I saw it at first sight. Beautiful!

Big hug

Gus

Andrew McLachlan
11-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Julie, love the background, agree on the highlights. Nice work!

Judy Howle
11-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I like the composition and agree about toning down the edge. The background is awesome!!

christopher galeski
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
very nice image,love the BG,would be nice printed on canvas waterproofed,then displayed in a bathroom,if you know what I mean.thanks.

Julie Kenward
11-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Thank you everyone...Brendan, thanks for the idea of lowering the greens...I think that's what was still bugging me about the image but couldn't quite put my hands on it!