PDA

View Full Version : Grass

Dave Leroy
11-24-2011, 10:41 PM
The photo was taken on a windy day in Florence, Oregon a couple weeks ago.

7D, 100mm macro, 1/200, f/11, ISO400, manual, tripod.

Dennis Bishop
11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Great image, Dave. I like the composition, the soft background, and especially how well the colors work together. It's subtle, but the stronger weight -- in terms of both size and color -- of the stem and the seed heads toward the bottom of the image add a lot to its appeal. It's nice that something so simple as grass can be so beautiful.

OvidiuCavasdan
11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Well composed, nice colors, sharp, well done in windy conditions, killer BG.

Ken Childs
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Dave, this is great work done with a nice subject in tough conditions! As Dennis mentioned, the colors work very well together and the dark stem at the bottom provides a good anchor to the subject. Your timing must have been perfect to get this with wind and 1/200....it doesn't take much to move these things around. :S3:

The only change I might make would be to blend/lighten the dark areas on both sides of the top of the subject....a soft brush at around 20% opacity should easily fix that. Overall this is very well done.

Dave Leroy
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone. I see what you mean Ken and will touch it up.

Dave

Steve Maxson
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Dave. This turned out very well considering the wind. Nice even light plus good colors, sharpness, and background. I also like the slight diagonal of the subject and the long, narrow frame of the image. Very nicely done!

Julie Kenward
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
You get an A+ from me...I tried to photograph this grass all fall and never could get this kind of sharpness all the way around and still get a soft BG. You nailed this one!