PDA

View Full Version : Marblehead Lighthouse from the inside

Dennis Bishop
11-24-2011, 08:16 PM
One of my absolute favorite photographic endeavors is taking HDR images from the inside of a structure. The Marblehead Lighthouse, which was built in 1822 on the south shore of Lake Erie, is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the Great Lakes. When it's open for tours, the park rangers allow small groups to climb the stairs to the top. Much to my surprise, they let me stay inside taking photos for over two hours. When each new group came in, I'd follow them up the stairs, getting progressively higher each time. Of course, I had to retreat with tripod, camera, and a couple bags when they started back down.

9-stop HDR
ISO 320, f/18, 10.5mm DX fisheye (before I got my new camera with a full frame sensor)

Topaz Simplify -- a preset based on BuzSim
Alien Skin Snap Art -- Stylize line art for edge detail at reduced opacity

Somehow during the processing, the light under the stair treads was reduced and the railing turned completely black, so ...
Curves with luminosity mask to bring back the light under the stairs, and
white brushed with reduced opacity on a 50% gray layer with Soft Light blend mode to lighten the railing

gradient vignette at low opacity

Steve Adkins
11-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Love these interior HDR's also, Dennis. The perspective is amazing and FUN! I think the processing is very, very well done. Your perseverance really paid off. :S3:

denise ippolito
11-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Dennis, The processing really, really enhanced this! Great job- just the right combo and amount. The composition is interesting and makes me want to see more. Love it!:S3:

Julie Kenward
11-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Dennis, I am generally not a big fan of HDR but this is really well done! I don't feel like I'm looking at an HDR image - just something with a lot of "pop"!

I did try two little tweaks just to see where they would take the image - just a very slight variation in both cases. First, I darkened the lighted area beneath the window just a tiny bit as I felt it was a little washed out compared to the rest of the strong colors and then I added a small amount of high pass filter (4.6) on an overlay blend mode to give everything a little more sharpness. Just some ideas for you to consider...

Dennis Bishop
11-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Dennis, I am generally not a big fan of HDR but this is really well done! I don't feel like I'm looking at an HDR image - just something with a lot of "pop"!

I did try two little tweaks just to see where they would take the image - just a very slight variation in both cases. First, I darkened the lighted area beneath the window just a tiny bit as I felt it was a little washed out compared to the rest of the strong colors and then I added a small amount of high pass filter (4.6) on an overlay blend mode to give everything a little more sharpness. Just some ideas for you to consider...

I've missed seeing you're images and reading your comments. Thanks for not only the re-post but the explanations. I like what you did.

Most -- maybe about 90% -- of my images start out with HDR exposures. That's probably overdoing it, but my goal is to ensure I get something that looks close to natural despite an extended dynamic range. I'm definitely not after a strange effect unless it happens to complement the subject. In fact, many of the examples on the HDRsoft (Photomatix) website really put me off, initially.

Cheryl Slechta
11-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Dennis, I love your composition (especially the curving hand rail and steps) and effects you applied. When I first looked at your image the one thing I was wishing for was a little more detail on just the upper steps. Jule's repost did that beautifully but I think I like the softness of the OP for the rest of the image. ( I also like the change Jules made to the windowsill). Nice work:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Dennis, love the comp and prefer Julie repost as it takes it up a notch. Look forward to more of your interior HDRs. :S3:

Judy Howle
11-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Excellent subject and composition Dennis! I kinda like the softness of the original image although making the details and colors stand out a bit more and toning down the highlight would work for me too. Well done!