View Full Version : African Fish Eagle

gail bisson
11-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Canon 7D
F 2.8 70-200mm with 1.4X
ISO 640
AP 8.0
SS 1/2000
Almost full frame. Took 5 % off the right hand side.
Manual
This is one of my favorites from my trip.
It may look to some like there is a sharpening halo under the left wing but that line is there in the RAW-not sure why but I don't think it is a deal breaker.PP in LR3 and NR and sharpened in CS5.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from,
Gail
Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends!

Dumay de Boulle
11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Are they not the most magnificent birds? Great flight angle and nice sharp focus!

Stu Bowie
11-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi Gail, I can see why you chose this as one of your favourite images. The light looks good here, and you have exposed the fish eagle nicely - sharp too. The bushes below, balance the comp nicely, and I do like the angled gliding/soaring posture. Dont you wish you lived in Africa, you could see these guys more often. :w3

BenBotha
11-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Nicely done. I will always associate the call of the fish Eagle with Africa and the bush!!

Ken Watkins
11-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Gail,
From the images you have posted, it seems like you have had a wonderful trip.

This is great the pose is for me at least very different, I just wish that I could get one to fly in my direction now and again.

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Great image Gail! I like the wing position, exposure and composition.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Gail have you set a 'Picture Style' in the camera menu set up?

Steve

gail bisson
11-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Gail have you set a 'Picture Style' in the camera menu set up?

Steve
Yes, I have it in Standard. Why?
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
11-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Super shot, this one has it all - well done.

Steve Kaluski
11-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Because it adds a % of sharpening along with other additions to the file if you look at the set-up for Standard, +3 or something, it's not something I use.

It might not work, but try opening the file in RAW then setting it to Faithful, everything will go and it will look flat as this has nothing applied to the image, it is the natural file. See if the halo is still there. You may need to do this in Canons DPP.

Just a thought.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Fantastic bird angle, light, and sharpness, Gail. Love the tree line below. Very well done on the DOF too.
You've certainly returned with some gorgeous keepers. Looking forward to more from your trip.

Jonathan Ashton
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
For what it's worth I used canon Standard until recently I have now gone to Adobe Standard and I often use Auto instead of As Shot but sometimes adjust accordingly. Whatever you use well you can end up with what you want, of course, but I have come to think that Adobe Stanbdard is the better starting point.

Chris Kotze
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Excellent flight angle, super image Gail

Daniel Cadieux
11-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice gliding pose, esposure, details. I do wish the legs and feet were lit, but great light otherwise. I'd also like the bird a bit higher in the frame. Well done, and fun to see your images from your Africa trip...must have been a thrill!!

dankearl
11-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Sharp, very well exposed, I do not see a halo.
As Daniel noted, maybe just a bit higher but I really like the flight angle.

Karl Egressy
11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
It must have been a great feeling to be so close to this majestic bird, Gail. No nits.

gail bisson
11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Nice gliding pose, esposure, details. I do wish the legs and feet were lit, but great light otherwise. I'd also like the bird a bit higher in the frame. Well done, and fun to see your images from your Africa trip...must have been a thrill!!
Thanks Daniel. If I were to move the bird higher up in the frame would you crop some off the top or add canvas on the bottom?

Also, for Steve. I did as you suggested and in Faithful the line under the wing is still there but much less noticeably. Will keep this info handy and will shoot with faithful next time out to try it,
Gail

Ofer Levy
11-24-2011, 08:23 PM
You've nailed the exposure and focus in here!! Very nice!

Daniel Cadieux
11-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Daniel. If I were to move the bird higher up in the frame would you crop some off the top or add canvas on the bottom?

I would crop away about 40% of the space between the wingtip and top edge, then add back that same amount at bottom...it would be nice to see a bit more thickness to the vegetation layer at bottom.

Dave Leroy
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Very well done Gail. Lovely photo and a great memento of your trip.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Simply beautiful Gail. Just love it. Beautiful wing position and I really like the few feathers on the closest wing blowing ever so slightly

James Salywoda
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Just awesome Gail beautifully captured in flight.