PDA

View Full Version : Breeze Browser Pro alternative for Mac?

Chris Brennan
11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
For about the last ten years or so, I've used a PC to do my photo editing and post-procesing running both Breeze Browser Pro and Photoshop. Shortly, I'm planning on going back to a Mac (which is what I learned all this computer stuff on back in the early 90's). It'll more than likely be a 27" iMac 3.1Ghz machine. While I expect to have to invest in CS5, can you folks recommend a good program to do sorting and organizing and perhaps raw conversion? I really like BBP but they don't support Macs, and I'd like to limit myself to one or 2 programs to do it all...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Jay Gould
11-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Why are you going back to MAC? I have been angsting over this jump for a couple of years now.

Brendan Dozier
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes, I use Photo Mechanic, (recommended to me by a poster right here on BPN) works great, and you can browse through raw images quickly.
They have a free demo you can try out: http://www.camerabits.com/site/

Chris Brennan
11-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Why are you going back to MAC? I have been angsting over this jump for a couple of years now.

I PM'd you...

Elliotte Rusty Harold
11-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Adobe Lightroom is the default choice and a very good one considered only by itself. People have their preferences, and from one image to the next one program or the other may do a slightly better job of developing it, but Lightroom's always pretty good and often gives the best results. There' certainly nothing obviously better out there. Most folks seem to think that Photo Mechanic is better for heavy keywording; but it doesn't compare in photo editing. I find I can do most of my work in Lightroom, and only rarely dropping out to Photoshop.

What really seals the deal is that Lightroom is far better supported by the third party community than any alternative. I.e. any seminar, class, book, plugin, blog post, etc. is far more likely to work with Lightroom than anything else. Breeze Browser is a somewhat idiosyncratic choice, popular with Artie and some of his students but pretty much no one else. In fact, none of the Lightroom alternatives have enough market share to support a vibrant third party community.

Roger Clark
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM
What really seals the deal is that Lightroom is far better supported by the third party community than any alternative. I.e. any seminar, class, book, plugin, blog post, etc. is far more likely to work with Lightroom than anything else. Breeze Browser is a somewhat idiosyncratic choice,

Pretty much all software choices are somewhat idiosyncratic choices.

popular with Artie and some of his students but pretty much no one else. In fact, none of the Lightroom alternatives have enough market share to support a vibrant third party community.

False. And if a piece of software does its job, it doesn't need third party community.

If one wants to be idiosyncratic, I do most work, including photo preview, evaluation and organization on linux. I keep seeing people say buy this buy that. With linux I don't need to as the tools are there. I did have to buy photoshop and run it under windows (under linux).

Roger

Chris Brennan
11-24-2011, 04:03 PM
... Breeze Browser is a somewhat idiosyncratic choice, popular with Artie and some of his students but pretty much no one else.....
I'm really going to have to disagree with you here! I was working in Breeze Browser way before Lightroom was even on the map, and long before I knew who Art Morris was! The fact that he uses it is neither "here nor there" with me... I use it because it makes the most sense with my work-flow.