PDA

View Full Version : Great White Egret

Jim Sharp
11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
This is my first post and want to say 'Hi' to everyone.
I've been viewing all the wonderful images being posted for a while now and more than a little overwhelmed by all the
great photographer/members present here.
Looking forward to participating more in the future and hope to pick up some much needed tips and tricks from all.
I took this shot of the Great White Egret in St. Augustine, Fl while visiting the Alligator Farm in April of this year.
Please feel free to critique.
1DIV...EF 70-200 w/1.4x...1/2000...f/6.3...ISO 320

Randy Stout
11-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Jim:

A big welcome to BPN. This is a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer..

I love the transilluminated wings and feather detail. Excellent wing spread. Exposure on bird is good, except for part of face and neck ( perhaps a bit hot, not much detail showing.)

The clouds appear to have blown whites ( obviously hard to control on clouds) and I would try to see if any detail at all can be teased out of them. If necessary, do a double raw conversion, exposing one for the bird and one for the clouds.

Wish the head was a bit more our way.

In a perfect world, a lower shooting angle would have been nice, probably not possible at that venue without getting too much background in.

Again, welcome to BPN, and look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Sharp
11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Randy, appreciate your suggestions and will give them a try.....:S3:

dankearl
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I like the feather detail on the Egret a lot.
Randy hit on the other points.
Welcome and thanks for posting.

arash_hazeghi
11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
excellent dynamic pose with the nesting material, light was a bit harsh and some of the whites are hot as mentioned

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Jim, nice shot to start with. As a capture its very good. May be a little more post processing as advised by others will make it more stunning.

Rosl Roessner
11-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi and Welcome Jim,
I really like the wing spread and the overall expression of the image. The twig in the beak is a plus.
Light was a bit harsh, but you can't change that... (well, if you come to Germany in November, you don't have harsh light ;-) but you don't have Great White Egrets as well...:c3:)