Canon 7D
500mm
Gitzo/Wimberley
Standing in water

A/V mode
ISO 400
f/8
1/1600

Taken on my outing with James Shadle last Feb at Alafia Banks, Tampa. We were standing in the water and sun was going down behind us. Light was still a bit harsh here but I liked the synchrony of the oystercatchers' stepping, and the water splashes. (I included this shot, along with others I took that day, as part of my online show as the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Featured Photographer of the Month, see http://www.birds.cornell.edu/page.aspx?pid=2319 if interested).

I cropped about 50%. Worked a bit on toning down the whites, mainly by using Recovery in S/H. Also used Brush tool with low opacity, sampling other areas. Sharpened. Cleaned some feathers and white spots off bills.

I hope you enjoy it. All comments and critiques very welcome. Thanks for looking.

gail bisson
11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Melissa,
I was wondering where you have been! Congrats on having your pictures featured by Cornell. An honor indeed!
I love pics of birds in threes so I really like this image. The repeated leg position really makes this pop! Good PP work.
My only nit is that I wish there was not a bill merge between bird 1 and 2,
Gail

Louie Champan
11-22-2011, 05:26 PM
What a shot, very nice.

Melissa Groo
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Melissa,
I was wondering where you have been! Congrats on having your pictures featured by Cornell. An honor indeed!
I love pics of birds in threes so I really like this image. The repeated leg position really makes this pop! Good PP work.
My only nit is that I wish there was not a bill merge between bird 1 and 2,
Gail

Thanks so much Gail on your congrats. And yes, have been posting, though not for a few days. Mostly been working on and posting wood duck shots I took a month or so ago.
I know, I wish that third bill were fully in view!

Ofer Levy
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Very nice image! You did very well with the harsh light.

Grace Scalzo
11-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice, I've seen two in synch but never three. Good dof.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Melissa...this is an incredible shot. so low percentage. absolutely perfect timing. congrats on becoming featured photographer.

terrific exposure, details and colors. Techs could not have been better.

Karl Egressy
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Great looking threesome, Melissa.

Gary Esman
11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
A huge Congratulations! I am loving this shot.

Gary.

Dan Behm
11-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Melissa,
I love this image, Very nice given the harsh light conditions, The exposure processing and synchronized movement all lead to a spectacular Image... Congratulations!!!!
btw... Have yourself a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Dan

arash_hazeghi
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Excellent, you got three with the right HA!

Arno Ellmer
11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Superb,Melissa ! The low angle, HA's and synchrony make this shot. Bill separation would have put it over the top.
Could you tone down the legs a wee bit or are they naturally so light ? Harsh light handled well.
Congrats also on your award !

Dumay de Boulle
11-23-2011, 11:02 AM
This is great..All of them with the same HA and foot up...I like it. Colors look good and the light is well handled

Melissa Groo
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you so much for all the feedback!