PDA

View Full Version : Lady Beetle and lightbox setup

Steve Maxson
11-22-2011, 04:11 PM
This Convergent Lady Beetle (Hippodamia convergens) was photographed in my light box studio setup. 7D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, 2 remotely fired flashes, tripod. On an earlier studio image, Brendan asked if I could illustrate my studio setup and I have done so in pane #2. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Steve Maxson
11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
This image illustrates a simple and inexpensive light box design for photographing insects and other small subjects. I learned this from Alex Wild ( www.alexanderwild.com (http://www.alexanderwild.com) ) during a workshop. Start with a simple cardboard box - this one is 14x14x14 inches, but size is not critical. All the interior surfaces are lined with white posterboard (white printer paper will also work). Light is provided by two flash units pointed upward to bounce light around the interior of the light box. (There are shadows inside the light box because the flashes were not fired during this photo.) Note that I have wrapped printer paper around the outside of the flash heads - this extends a little above the top of the flash - the only purpose is to ensure that no direct light from the flash strikes the subject. I set the flashes to manual mode and adjust the power to suit the subject - with a little experimentation, you will be good to go - and the flashes are fired remotely. I use a 4-channel wireless trigger (WPT-04) available from Cowboy Studio ( www.cowboystudio.com (http://www.cowboystudio.com) ) for $38. The transmitter fits in the camera's hot shoe and a receiver attaches to each flash. You will need an external light source such as a small lamp to provide enough light on your subject so that you can focus (the flashes will completely overpower this light so it won't show in the image). Note that the subject is placed on a piece of translucent mylar plastic on the bottom of the box. This will prevent fibers on the surface of the paper from showing in your image and it also can be rotated like a "lazy Susan" to get a good shooting angle on your subject. Note also the petri dish cover on top of the insect. Often an active subject can be calmed down by leaving it under the petri dish for a few minutes. When ready to photograph, simply lift off the petri dish and fire away. You can also use a colored background or a different substrate such as a leaf - in which case you may need to adjust the power settings on the flashes.

Maureen Allen
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Interesting. I think I may try this. Thank you for the information :S3:

Dave Leroy
11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Lovely photo Steve and a really nice subject. I like the camera settings, and no wind. Thanks for all the detailed info and links as well.

Brendan Dozier
11-23-2011, 02:18 AM
This is really awesome, Steve! I don't think I've ever seen a ladybug so close-up before. Awesome detail and excellent exposure. I'm not sure but I'd be tempted to try cloning out that little bit of the rt foot. Seems just a bit distracting only because it's so close to the antenna. Thanks so much for showing us your macro studio set-up, and providing links. For some reason, I thought it would be much more elaborate. I like that it seems fairly straightforward, but realize it's all about experience and knowing how to execute the image. I have been thinking about trying some stuff like this, just have to get the additional equipment.

btw - I was looking at your aquarium macro images the other day, and thought that you should write a "how to" book on the subject.

bhavya joshi
11-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Its really cool... bug to photographs ... Steve it is awesome...:cheers:
It is nice to have experiment With your subject when it is cooperating with you.. Really nice studio... Lady bug comes to your studio or you brought him..???

Galliani Carlo
11-24-2011, 04:14 AM
very interesting post and thanks for information and link
Very good shot

Ken Childs
11-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for sharing your setup...obviously it does the job quite well!

My lightbox is made out of white foam board and is much larger but the concept is the same. I originally lit it with 4 clamp on lights but after seeing your results with bounced flash, I just did some experimenting and I think I can get acceptable results with my one flash attached to the camera with the wide panel extended. If it works, I'll share the results.

Valerio Tarone
11-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Steve, very interesting, thank you for sharing. I concern about the fact that the ladybug is mobile, but you use a petri dish, I suppose you free it thereafter! It's a very useful animal...inmy garden.

OvidiuCavasdan
11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Excellent image, the ladybug looks great on white. Thanks for sharing your setup!

Julie Kenward
11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't know what I find more interesting...the image or the lightbox set up! I'm bookmarking this for when I get that second flash unit. Thanks so much for the explanation.

And, yes, because of you, this lens is now on my wish list over at Amazon. :w3

Steve Maxson
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! :S3:

Joshi - I capture my insect subjects and bring them to my "studio." I've started to accumulate lots of small plastic containers that will fit into a pocket or backpack. I put insects in these for temporary storage until I photograph them - then they are released.

Ken - Yup, there are multiple ways to get this studio look. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your lightbox work.

Jules - I hope your lens wish come true! :S3:

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Hey Steve, I love the image--especially the head, thorax, and legs, but I am confused. Was any flash used to create this image???

Steve Maxson
12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Hey Steve, I love the image--especially the head, thorax, and legs, but I am confused. Was any flash used to create this image???

Thanks for the comment Artie. Yes, 2 flashes were used for this image - just as shown in the setup in pane #2. The flashes are fired upward into the lightbox to provide indirect lighting on the subject. :S3:

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the comment Artie. Yes, 2 flashes were used for this image - just as shown in the setup in pane #2. The flashes are fired upward into the lightbox to provide indirect lighting on the subject. :S3:

YAW. And thanks for the explanation. I get it now :e3. I am wondering if you cross-polarized the two flashes if the reflections on the wing covers could be eliminated??? I do not know enough about that technique to have an answer seeing that the light is reflected....

Steve Maxson
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
YAW. And thanks for the explanation. I get it now :e3. I am wondering if you cross-polarized the two flashes if the reflections on the wing covers could be eliminated??? I do not know enough about that technique to have an answer seeing that the light is reflected....

I haven't yet tried cross-polarization so I can't comment on whether it might work in this situation. :S3:

Arthur Morris
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I do know that it can be used to eliminate reflections but have no clue if it would work with reflected light from a flash. I will ask Mr. Lepp when I see him in March (I think...)

Doug Brown
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Thanks Steve for sharing a wonderful image and a great explanation of how the photo was achieved.