PDA

View Full Version : Victoria's Riflebird (Ptiloris victoriae) male Paluma Queensland Australia

Rod Warnock
11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Victoria's Riflebird (Ptiloris victoriae) male Paluma Queensland Australia
CanonEOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F7.1 1/320 flash 22 August 2011
While Cyclone Yasi meant that the road to Lake Paluma was closed and therewas a lot of damage, Paluma still was an excellent venue. I stayed down at Crystal Creek accessed Paluma from there. Part of the visitwas to get digital images of Victoria's Rifelbirds. On the last day Igot this species and also Noisy Pittas. Was getting a bit frantic bythis time. There two other Riflebird species in Australia the Magnificent and the Paradise these and Victoria's all occur on theeast coast. Victoria's Riflebird is endemic to the Wet Tropic Regionof Queensland, Magnificent confined to extreme tip of Cape York,Queensland while Victoria's occurs in a near coastal strip fromsouthern Queensland to mid way down the New South Wales eastern Great Divide.
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Dan Busby
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM
What an interesting bird Rod. And a nice explanation of your journey to photograph it. Looks like it inhabits very dense growth so nice job of getting a good clear shot of it. On my monitor some of the blacks appear lost, but that may just be my monitor.

Rod Warnock
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks Dan for your comments. I know what you mean about the blacks, but on my monitor I can see detail in the blacks, yet if I don't position the screen correctly they can appear black. It is an ever present bug bear!!
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Dan Busby
11-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I kind of thought it might be my monitor Rob. Those blacks look almost like velvet - very deep and rich.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Loved the bird...and nice inky blanks. Excellent details. Capturing this species must be an exciting experience. Some more space at top and right will help

Dave Leroy
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
A lovely and unique looking bird. And good for you to preserve and get the photo in what looks like some pretty dense stuff. Nice and sharp and good eye contact.

Ofer Levy
11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Lovely to see your images in here Rod! WHat a stunning bird! Sharp with excellent detail. Keep them coming!