PDA

View Full Version : Broom

Dave Leroy
11-20-2011, 10:39 PM
This was taken several days ago on a somewhat windy day in Florence, Oregon. The small bush had one small flower left on it.

7D, 100mm F 2.8 macro 1/60, f/11, ISO400., tripod.

In addition to the usual pp'n I ran the flower through a blue photo filter which recovered the lost info in the blue channel. I was surprised the amount of small detail that emerged. As well I cleaned up some spots here and there.

Dennis Bishop
11-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Very nice. As is often the case, a background can really help make an image even better, and I think yours added a lot. The soft focus, the colors, and all the diagonal lines distributed from the top right to the bottom left nicely complement a good, strong foreground. If this were mine, I'd flip it horizontally because I feel the lines and curves would, then, work to keep the viewer's eyes in the image.

Dave Leroy
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks Dennis. I had wondered if the flower and stems needed to have been a bit more vertical and more room in front of flower. It was FF so stuck with the original.
I had not thought of the flipped version. Here it is for a bit of a test. Hopefully we get some feedback.

Steve Maxson
11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Dave. Beautiful color and light plus very nice sharpness and detail - and the background tops it off. I'm impressed with how big a difference the horizontal flip made in the comp! In the OP, my eye goes first to the flower and then follows the diagonal stem out of the frame. In the repost, the diagonal stem leads my eye up to the flower where it stays. (I expect this has to do with the way we are accustomed to read from left to right in this culture.) This (especially the repost) is a very strong image!

Ken Childs
11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Dave, great job with the yellows and the BG on this looks fantastic! The comp looks good as is.

Like Steve, I'm amazed at how much difference flipping the image has made. Those leading diagonals seem much stronger when going left to right. I'm betting he's right about the left to right reading thing but this has me wondering if someone from a culture that writes right to left would prefer the OP. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Yellow look very good, good dof, BG is excellent! I might be tempted to crop a bit from right side (in the OP).

Dave Leroy
11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Interesting comments about flipping the photo. It certainly does make a big difference in viewing it. For some reason the first seems more natural to me, probably because that is how I first saw it.
Thanks for comments and suggestions.