PDA

View Full Version : The Stray Feather

Marina Scarr
11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
This juvenile Crested Caracara was photographed from a blind in Texas this past Spring. Light was already a bit high but the action was too good to stop. Watching the young ones come in for their landings was so humorous b/c they were often all over the place. This one did pretty well, though. A colleague suggested I lose "the feather." I personally feel that the stray feather adds a lot to this image and was wondering how others felt about it?

Canon 1D3, Canon 400DO F4 IS
F6.3, 1/1600sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Mongoose head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Doug Brown
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I absolutely wouldn't lose the feather Marina. It really makes the image for me. I love its displaced location and its silvery color. Excellent landing pose and sharpness. Like the framing. I do find the darks a little blocked, and I might ease off on the sharpening of the crest feathers. I would also consider darkening the perch a little.

Dan Busby
11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I would also keep the feather Marina - it's real life out there! Nice landing pose. Light a bit harsh but good comments from Doug re: perch and blacks. Great landing pose timing and I like the position of the beak and how it stands out against the dark shoulder feathers. Lovely detail in the wing secondaries and tertials.

Don Railton
11-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi Marina

Love this image but agree with Doug's suggestions. There are a few other feathers that are damaged/out of place also, 5th on RH wing tip and a tail feather. I would leave them all as they are.

DON

dankearl
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
What a great shot, the feather is perfect to me, the photo is sharp as can be, and the pose is really action packed.

Stu Bowie
11-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Tack sharp Marina, and what a great landing posture you have captured. This shows off the wingspread very well. I wouldnt lose the feather either. Another vote for toning down the perch.

RakeshDhareshwar
11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Beautifully exposed and captured here !! The feather definitely adds a lot !

gail bisson
11-21-2011, 05:12 AM
I agree-Keep the feather and tone down the perch! Very nice image- good specs and dynamic shot.
Gail

Ofer Levy
11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Nice one! Excellent suggestions from Doug.

Chris Martinez
11-21-2011, 06:53 AM
I think the inclusion of the stray wing feather coupled with the broken(?) tail feather help paint the picture of a clumsy youngster as you describe.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
I like it too. What a swee innocent capture and the broken, stray feathers do add to the character of the youngster.

Kiran Poonacha
11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
beautifully done Marina.. great details and pose works well:5