PDA

View Full Version : The Bufflehead Shake

dankearl
11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I really like these tiny ducks, and I like the female better than the male.
1/1250
f7.1
iso400
420mm (300 f2.8 w/ 1.4X)

DSC_4098nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104173&stc=1&d=1321660050)

Daniel Cadieux
11-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I've never gotten anywwhere close enough to properly photograph this species. Neat pose, this gal looks to be having lots of fun! I like the drops on the belly. I'd crop either off the top or bottom (or both!)

Randy Stout
11-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Dan:

As someone who has failed miserably to get close enough to these dinky ducks, I really appreciate this shot, esp. at that short focal length.

They are such characters. Well exposed and sharp. In a perfect world, would prefer the angle to show her left wing a bit better and not merge with the bill.

I agree with Daniel, so cropping options here. I would probably take a bit off the bottom as well, and at least clone over the dark spot in RUC, or even crop down a bit to eliminate it.

Again, good job on the capture!

Randy

gail bisson
11-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Very nice image. I wish she was turned more towards you so we could see her left wing a bit better but that is a minor nit. Love the colors in the BG . Another nice feature is the wake created by her belly as she moves forward.I would take a bit off the bottom,
Gail

Dan Busby
11-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Dan - a great fall setting and yes, the females are gorgeous. Nice action, overall IQ and lighting. I also like the wake in front of the bird. Maybe a bit off the bottom for me too.

Stu Bowie
11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Dan, well timed to get the outspread wings on this little girl, and overall, nice and sharp. The droplets do add a lot, and I would crop off the top.

dankearl
11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the comments, I got a bunch of nice shots (there were two females in the pond).
I just hid in bushes and waited and waited and hoped they would get close enough and they did eventually.
They are REALLY small.
Over an hour wait for this! I should be committed!