PDA

View Full Version : fascination

kamran shahin
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
canon 7d tamron 90mm macro.ss1.1000 f.8 iso 400http://www.pic.iran-forum.ir/images/beeh1540tlousibmkhu.jpg

Dave Leroy
11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I like the title for the photo. Really fitting. Really nice behavior shot and something I have tried hard to get with no success. I like the composition with the exception of the oof flower on the right side. I would consider cropping it out and perhaps a bit from bottom to rebalance photo. Good for you to catch the action.

Ken Childs
11-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Kamran, you did good job of capturing a difficult subject....I know how hard it can be to accomplish this! The basic comp looks good and the way the bee is slightly turned towards us is a perfect pose. I agree that the OOF flower on the right needs to be cropped away but if this were mine, I'd crop in tighter on all sides, putting the bee in the UL ROT position. In general the bee looks good but I think some areas look a little bright and overall it looks a little soft. Try selecting just the bee and sharpening it some more. You can also select the brightest areas on the bee and then use Photoshop's Shadows/Highlights tool to tone down those areas. The back antenna shows spectral highlights from the flash but this is easy to fix...just paint over the bright area. The background look good except for the dark area right below the bee so you might want to try to blend that area with the rest of the BG.

In the repost below, I did everything mentioned above. I did not spend much time doing this new edit so if you take some time and work carefully, you will easily end up with something better than my version. Your original was good but with a few Photoshop tricks, you can take this one up a few steps! :S3:

Please be sure to give as much information as possible about your shots. I can tell that flash was used but you did not mention this. You will get much more helpful critiques if we all know what you did to capture your images. :S3:

Steve Maxson
11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Kamran. Anyone who's ever tried this knows how difficult it is to get this shot - and you've done a nice job of it. You have some good suggestions from Dave and Ken so I won't repeat - I like what Ken has done with the repost. From a biological perspective, this is a very interesting looking bee. Also, one can see how this flower is adapted to be pollinated by the bee. As the bee approaches the flower, its back will rub against the blue pistol and pollen grains lodged on its back from a visit to a previous flower will stick to the pistol - and will pollinate that flower. As the bee moves in closer to feed, the down-hanging pinkish stamens will deposit additional pollen on its back so the whole process can be repeated when it visits the next flower. :S3: