PDA

View Full Version : First Flight

John Wilkerson
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Ok this is the first "in flight photo" I think its a bit tight but its what I shot. I would like to know
how to improve overall, not just the photo but the way it was taken. Would fill flash have helped? This was shot April of 07 at St Aug alligator farm.
I have upgraded equipment since this trip. There was a workshop going on there while I was there.
I felt a bit intimidated since I was so new at this. Not to mention it was pretty cold that day. I have learned a lot here and hope to participate in some to the classes you guys teach.
Nikon D200
Sigma 300mm zoom
F11@1/750th
no flash
iso 1000
95mm
manual focus
center metered

Fabs Forns
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi John, congrats on getting your fist flight!!!

Wish you had taken it a few seconds earlier, when the bird was approaching you, he's past the advantage point, more towards 2 O"clock than 11 :(
As close as the birds come to SAAF, the flash and Better Beamer may have helped, although to negate a strong shadow if the sun was high, fast shutter speed eats up the flash power.
Ideally, maybe f/8 would have worked just as well, and you needed to grab him a little before you did.

Keep up and practice, practice, practice! :)

Axel Hildebrandt
04-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Nice flight image! I agree with Fabs that a few frames earlier would have improved the composition and the light looks a bit harsh.

John Wilkerson
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Yea light was getting a bit tough by this time. It was my first trip to the farm and to the area. I was just really getting interested in bird photography. My first love is photojournalism. I have learned alot here already just looking and reading. Im hoping to go to gatorland if everyone gets together there. My real job hold be back as far as time to travel. If you are interested in what I have done, MSNBC just received two awards from the National Press Photographers Assn for a photo essay of my photographs.

http://bop.nppa.org/2008/web_sites/winners/index.php?cat=NPG&smc=OVER&place=1st

http://bop.nppa.org/2008/web_sites/winners/?cat=BPG&smc=OVER

Thanks for the comments it really helps I love this forum.