PDA

View Full Version : Stalking Cheeath

Rudi van den Heever
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Still having some fun with B&W conversions...

Pieter de Waal
11-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi Rudi, lovely stalking pose with a good B&W conversion which seems to heighten the drama about to unfold.

Roman Kurywczak
11-18-2011, 02:32 PM
He Rudi,
I too like the conversion and the way the eye is drawn from the dark to the light!

Rachel Hollander
11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Rudi - I like the conversion and the interplay of the shadow and light.

TFS,
Rachel

DanWalters
11-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Like the simplicity in the BW. Nice shadows as well.

gail bisson
11-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Very nice. I like the dark RUC that leads the eye to the light where the cheetah is. The shadows really define the powerful sholder muscles as well. Very nice,
Gail

Angad Achappa
11-20-2011, 01:54 AM
The B&W conversion is just awesome!! Adds a lot of dram, which im sure the color image wouldn't have been able to portray.

Rudi van den Heever
11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Much appreciated everyone!:w3

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi Rudi, sadly for me this isn't working. The B/W I feel is just too strong and I'm a little puzzled why you have added the darkening vignette, was it to highlight the Cheetah, give it depth, etc?

Could you please add some info/rational/thinking behind the image which would help in trying to understand what you were trying to achieve, plus the exif data too as it's always good to have a clear indication of why people have chosen a particular path, especially when converting.

Cheers
Steve

Rudi van den Heever
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Here is the original image Steve... decided on the conversion and the vignette to add some drama to the image... Exif was 1/2500s a f5.6 and IS0 400 with 100-400mm lens at 190mm...

Steve Kaluski
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the above Rudi, I think the B/W doesn't do the image justice, as there are a lot of nice detail within the colour that sadly doesn't come through, or is lost in the OP. Personally I feel we need to be very careful when using tools to 'enhance' our images and we can easily get carried away, which in turn, can take a lot from the original image and therefore our chosen choice of treatment/medium needs to be very carefully selected, to ensure it works in the right direction.

IMHO, software is a very powerful tool and can easily bring an image to life, it can also weaken it too.

This is a straight B/W conversion in PS which perhaps conveys the structure and athleticism of the colour version with a hint of vignette (not my choice) but... :bg3: Perhaps if you have time, revisiting the file and trying to take the key elements from the two might be an alternative route to achieving the conversion, blending the two doesn't work as my version is to bright in comparison.

Just a thought Rudi. :w3

Steve

Ken Watkins
11-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Personally I feel we need to be very careful when using tools to 'enhance' our images and we can easily get carried away, which in turn, can take a lot from the original image and therefore our chosen choice of treatment/medium needs to be very carefully selected, to ensure it works in the right direction.

Indeed there are far to many tools .

Rudi,

I prefer the colour version ( hardly surprising) which I believe could be developed into a fine image.

Harshad Barve
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
He Rudi,
I too like the conversion and the way the eye is drawn from the dark to the light!

Plus one here
TFS

Rudi van den Heever
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! Once again thanks for the detailed reply Steve - will try something in due course...:w3