PDA

View Full Version : The Man of War Bird in Flight

Marina Scarr
11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's another male Magnificent Frigatebird in flight, only this one's pouch is deflated. Interestly, they are also referred to as Man of War birds...not sure why...and Pirate birds which is b/c they steal their food from other birds while in flight. This is b/c the frigatebirds cannot land on the ground or the water b/c they are unable to get airborne again as a result of their wingspan which can be up to 90 inches!

Canon 1D3, Canon 70-200L F4 IS & 1.4TC
F6.3, 1/1600sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Handheld while waist deep in water

Thank you for looking. C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Marina, loved the details in the blacks. magnificient bird, indeed. Well done.

Randy Stout
11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Marina:

Like the angle in the frame, works the diagonal well. Good detail in the blacks.

Cheers

Randy

Grace Scalzo
11-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Well done, I like your composition and exposure. Easy to underexpose the blacks in cases like this. Thanks for the info about this birds...I hope to see one someday.

Brendan Dozier
11-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Nice job, Marina, have not seen image of this cool looking bird in flight before. Thanks for sharing the behavior info.

Tom Rambaut
11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
certainly shows the profile (?, not sure if that is the word) of the bird. I have always marveled at the shape of the tail. Lovley detail in the blacks. Nice sharp eye and face.

gail bisson
11-19-2011, 06:36 AM
What an awesome bird. I like the vertical comp and the diagonal line created by the wings. Exposure is spot on and the feather detail is weel shown. I like it!
Gail
PS Why were you waist deep in water?

Marina Scarr
11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
What an awesome bird. I like the vertical comp and the diagonal line created by the wings. Exposure is spot on and the feather detail is weel shown. I like it!
Gail
PS Why were you waist deep in water?

Hi Gail:

You cannot photograph these birds from land at this roosting place. You can only get out there by water. Photographing from my waverunner is not an option unfortunately b/c there is too much movement. My goal here was a vertical flight shot...now I want one with pouch extended. Next time I hope!