PDA

View Full Version : Easpern Imperial Eagle (Juvenile)

Ishmeet Sahni
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Camera: 1D Mk III
Lens: EF 500 F/4 + TC 1.4 X
Exposure: F8
Shutter : 1/500
Exposure Bias: 0
ISO : 100

Roland, I hope this time I am using the correct name for the Eagle, the last two times I did goof up.....:e3

Randy Stout
11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Ishmeet:

What a stark landscape, barren. Makes a strong statement.

Good look back pose with head parallel to the sensor. Good choice on f/stop to get enough DOF for this large bird.

I might consider a bit more sharpening on the head.

Cheers

Randy

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Beautifully done, Ishmeet.
Agree with Randy though.

Dave Leroy
11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I also like the large barren landscape. It compliments the serious look back pose. Does photo need a bit of cw rotation? I am looking at the focus line.

Marina Scarr
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I do like the bird against this stark background; however, I would like to see the colors bumped up a little bit in the bird only so that it will stand out more. I would try pushing the yellow and/or red a little bit. I might also consider taking some canvas off of the bottom.

Ishmeet Sahni
11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Randy, I have done a little more sharpening, as well as adjusted the brightness (on the head), please let me know if you think this works better.

Randy Stout
11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Ishmeet:

I think the extra sharpening is an improvement, helps separate the bird a bit more. You have to be careful when sharpening the edges of the bird to not make it look like a cut out subject. Its a fine line, you want it to stand out, but not look pasted on.

I like Marina's idea of a crop from below, put the bird right on the rule of thirds intersection, or even a smidge lower.

If you have the inclination, I could see a version with the background desaturated a bit more even. This would play up the barren feel, and further help separate the bird. Not everyones cup of tea, but I think this image lends itself to various treatments and interpretations.

Cheers

Randy

Dan Busby
11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Lots of good comments already Ishmeet. I really like the overall feel of the lonely bird in the barren habitat - could there possibly be any prey out there?! I think the repost looks a bit better. For eagles, I really would like to see their feet.

Randy Stout
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Ishmeet:

I had a second at home to look at your image a bit more. The following repost has been cropped as I mentioned, and I put a gradient filter over the top 1/3 of the image to reduce the luminosity there, and feel that it also helped the bird stand out.

You can do a much better job working with the raw file, but perhaps this provides some ideas.

I may tinker with the desaturation idea later.

Cheers

Randy

Ishmeet Sahni
11-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Randy, thanks a lot, a lot of food for thought............:bg3:

Ishmeet Sahni
11-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Lots of good comments already Ishmeet. I really like the overall feel of the lonely bird in the barren habitat - could there possibly be any prey out there?! I think the repost looks a bit better. For eagles, I really would like to see their feet.

Dan, this image is taken in the 'Little Rann of Kutch" it is also known as the "Wildass National Park". It is a saline desert (saline desert-cum-seasonal wetland) of Kutch,it is believed to have been shallow sea. Hardly anything grows here. That said, it is one of the best places to see and photograph Raptors, Flamingos, Pelicans, Owls and also the Houbara Bustard to name a few, in the winter, during the migration season. I have even got record shots of the Amur Falcon. It is a Raptor paradise, my favorite place for the Peregrine Falcon.......

I would have loved to capture the talons, but..... was not meant to be....

Roland
11-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Camera: 1D Mk III
Lens: EF 500 F/4 + TC 1.4 X
Exposure: F8
Shutter : 1/500
Exposure Bias: 0
ISO : 100

Roland, I hope this time I am using the correct name for the Eagle, the last two times I did goof up.....:e3

Ishmeet, great picture of a wonderful bird and with the correct ID. Actually it's quite easy to tell Imperial and Steppe apart, isn't it?

Ishmeet Sahni
11-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I have tried to edit this image slightly differently, I hope this works better.....