PDA

View Full Version : Green Woodpecker

Petros Petrou
11-17-2011, 03:40 AM
It took me some time to get this guy in the open. Eventhough he wasn't too close and the weather was far from great, i am glad I finaly got some decent pictures of him.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Canon 7D, 500 f/4L with 1.4x, 1/500, f7.1, ISO 1600

Petros

gail bisson
11-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Lovely bird and perch. Nice BG but the high ISO has caused a fair bit of noise (still pretty good for a 7D!) Diagonal line created by the perch is always nice.
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
11-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Looks like you have an image with lots of potential, but I feel a bit more post-processing TLC could make it better. The colours and contrast both need a bit of a boost IMO, and with the bird small in the frame having it closer to the corner would make for a better balanced comp. Hope you like the rework, just added contrast and recropped (which also, IMO, reduced the impact of the big perch with a not so nice tip). You could do some NR too...

Great subject though, and you have a lovely BG to go with it...

Christian Neumann
11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I agree with Daniel. Great picture, anyway. Green woddpeckes suffered a lot during the last two snowy winters here in Germany

john jackson
11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I like this photo a lot. Green Woodpecker is a glorious species and can be shy and difficult to approach.

I agree with Daniel that the colours colours could be processed to better match the bird in life. But I disagree strongly with his crop. With the whole branch there the bird is anchored well in the picture and attracts my eye and holds my gaze. In the cropped version my eye is drawn up to a large amorphous blob of textured lichen and out of the frame.

Jim Crosswell
11-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice image Petros! I like what Daniel has done with it.

Stu Bowie
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Petros, cool looking perch, and I like that it goes diagonally across the frame. Good detail and colours on the woodpecker, and not one that I have seen before. I really like your BG too. Dan's repost does work well, and something to work on for your next image. :w3

Ishmeet Sahni
11-17-2011, 02:05 PM
A beautiful bird...we have various other woodpeckers in India, not this one. I Daniel's repost, just adds that little punch...

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi, Daniel did an awesome job with the colors and contrast. NR will go a long way here.

If me, I'd do that to your original post but take a little off the left side( to get bird to ROT line). I would not crop more form the other three sides. I like seeing the full perch and some empty space beyond that. Lots of options.

what a neat bird....you did well getting parallel.

Petros Petrou
11-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Daniel thank you for taking the time to work on my image. I had already boosted the contrast but seeing your repost I realize that I should have gone a little bit further.
Thank you all for your comments.

Dan Busby
11-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyway you look at it, that's a nice shot Petros. It's always satisfying to finally capture that difficult species in an attractive setting. Well done. I think some NR on the bkgr would improve it. I'm not sure about the crop. I agree with Kaustubh's crop from left side but I can see both versions of the branch in the urc. I think I go with Daniel's crop as it makes the bird more prominent. But we all see things a bit differently and that's a good thing!