PDA

View Full Version : Done With Homer/Headed for Bosque

Arthur Morris
11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Another of the dime a dozen series. Canvas added top. Baited with frozen pollock. From the boat. Cano 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II with the 1.4X III TC and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop off the brown water: 1/2000 sec. at f/4.

To see the original and to learn how this image was processed, see the lead photos here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2011/11/15/birds-as-art-bulletin-388/).

(http://lhays2@insightbb.com) Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

arash_hazeghi
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
this one is right on the money, the trail of water drops right from the talons to the splash point makes the action lively and strong while the excellent light with zero shadows renders the details nicely and makes the eagle stand out. TFS

your link to original seems to be broken BTW.

Arthur Morris
11-16-2011, 08:26 PM
this one is right on the money, the trail of water drops right from the talons to the splash point makes the action lively and strong while the excellent light with zero shadows renders the details nicely and makes the eagle stand out. TFS

your link to original seems to be broken BTW.

Thanks on all counts Arash. That was strange with the link.... It is repaired now.

Arthur Morris
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Great action captured, beautiful and crisp details. I do think that a few degrees cw rotation is needed, based on the splash reflections.

Not much if any if you look at the base of the splash..... Looked for you on Skype you must have just sacked out. I will Skype you when I get to New Mexico tomorrow.

dankearl
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
The 3d effect is really good. Very nice wing detail and splash.
I also think it needs a bit of rotation, but I have a hard time judging it.
The wave pattern looks angled down to me, but the bird looks fine.

Josh Clark
11-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Fantastic action capture here. Great capture by both of you. Love the light presented on this guy and nice job holding the detail in the white head feathers. Fantastic wing spread.

Gary Esman
11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Fantastic detail here Artie! Really like his left wing and the trail of water. Here is my take on the rotation question. The thought process is since he is at an angle coming toward us, the splash should be also.

Gary

Dan Busby
11-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Fantastic image Artie. Did you work on the beak? - it's so perfect. I wonder what has caused that blue line in the water below the bird. Anyway, terrific timing, wing position, detail and, well, everything :bg3:. Can't say I disagree with the rotation.

Marina Scarr
11-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Great flight pose, nice and sharp, gorgeous light and great splash. Needed rotation.

Doug Brown
11-16-2011, 11:00 PM
You nailed this one Artie, although I do agree with the rotation.

Stan Cunningham
11-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Never met you but always hate you when you post some of your eagle pics,

out of pure immature jealousy.
Stan

Mike Milicia
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Love the pose, water trail, and excellent detail!

Another vote for the rotation.

Stu Bowie
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Well timed for the strike, and just love the trailing water. Incredible detail and sharpness, and the near wing really pops out the screen. Gary's repost on the rotation works well.

MohsenVahedipour
11-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Excellent timing & perfect technical aspects. Also like the Gary's repost.

gail bisson
11-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Another vote for the rotation! Lovely shot and splash. Exp is excellent.
Gail

Arthur Morris
11-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the kind words and the repost and the leveling suggestion. At first it seemed that the base of the splash in the original post was level but after taking a closer look I see that that was an illusion. The base of the splash, which is hard to see, is actually level in Gary's repost :S3:.

The blue (actually CYAN) line is simply the color of the water showing through the reflection of the cliffs.