PDA

View Full Version : Canon U.S.A. Provides Updates on EF Lens Availability - Why Bother?

James Shadle
11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Canon U.S.A., Inc. today announced updated availability dates for three of its EF lenses.

More... (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024803eeba6)

Ed Cordes
11-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Why bother indeed! The usefullness of Canon's info is "yet to be determined" :2eyes2:

Larry Handal
11-16-2011, 10:31 PM
It gives your brand of choice a chance to catch up!
LOL
Sorry but I couldn't resist!:t3

Canon U.S.A., Inc. today announced updated availability dates for three of its EF lenses.

More... (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024803eeba6)

Doug Brown
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
What a joke! About the only takeaway message is that the new lenses are delayed, even though Canon didn't even say that.

James Shadle
11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
It gives your brand of choice a chance to catch up!
LOL
Sorry but I couldn't resist!:t3

Larry,
You're right.
Now that Canon has copied many of the Nikon D3 features into the EOS1-X, Nikon needs the extra time to "leap frog" their own technology.:w3

Truth be told, this was a RSS feed, I read the feed and then added the "Why Bother" to the title:e3.

Burt Gearhart
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Canon's update is a "classic example" of a "deal to do nothing"
Since they could not provide a date, why didn't they "give a date when they would give a date"??:2eyes2:
"

Gary Irwin
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, Canon originally announced end of the year (December 2011 timeframe), then (apparently) indicated they would be delayed until March/April 2012. I'm assuming they finally determined the situation is sufficiently fluid that it would best to remove estimated timelines rather than holding out false hopes and continue to disappoint. That's the correct call IMO.

Jon Swanson
11-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Their facilities have suffered a disaster. I am sure they are sorry they cannot provide an exact release date for these lenses. They most likely have more important things like rebuilding factories to take care of.

Ken Watkins
11-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Their facilities have suffered a disaster. I am sure they are sorry they cannot provide an exact release date for these lenses. They most likely have more important things like rebuilding factories to take care of.

Well said Jon, whilst a lot of people are impatient, I am sure they are doing their best under the terrible circumstances.

James,

Could you provide us with a list of the features that Canon have "copied"

David Stephens
11-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I also noted that they continue to give no price for the 200-400mm. It must be REALLY bad news.

Tony Hansford
11-26-2011, 01:54 AM
I would be quite happy if they had kept the $7500 500mm f4 rather than moving to the 500mm f4 II. Almost double the price is not an improvement as far as I'm concerned. But I can't afford either right now.

Chris Poole
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
These manufacturers can speculate on new releases and the rumor mill will run rampant but eventually Canon and Nikon will price themselves out of reach with these new lens updates and body upgrades that only a few will be able to purchase. I feel in the not to distant future as prices get out of sight, the average user/hobbyist will pretty much stick with their old gear or totally change products. As Tony noted
Almost double the price is not an improvement and I agree. Doubling the cost of product to me is just plain greedy in this poor world wide economy. It's like attempting to gain back product loss due to loss of sales, CEO bonuses, R&R, the flood ( Nikon). Before long these bodies and lenses will be in the niche market like the $40k Hasselblad H4D-200ms Body and Back.