PDA

View Full Version : Color of Money

Steve Fauer
01-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm standing in a mosquito infested swamp up to my knees in mud and who knows what else hunched over a camera that's nearly in the water looking through a 90 degree viewfinder with one hand on the focus ring and the other on the cable release praying that this little guy won't jump before I squeeze the trigger...

Nikon D2x
200mm macro
Manual focus & exposure
f/16
1/6 sec
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I am glad your prayers were answered.

I hate to quibble after all the trouble you went through, but the OOF leave in the BG leading up to the head is distracting. So is the more in focus branch at right.

The OOF leave near the frog can be handled with some PS work. I would crop just a bit from the right to eliminate the bottom portion of the branch the frog is not on where it emerges from under the branch he is on.

Color is grreat and the sharpness on the frog and the DOF just right for me. All that work paid off well here. Minor nits can be fixed in PS. Sometimes moving around in the field to change the BG is not an option - I have the feeling that was the case here.

D. Robert Franz
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Lovely frog and some fantastic colors. Robert metioned a few of the distracting elements and I agree. Since it sounds like you didn't have the option to move your position a solution may have been to expose with a much wider aperture say F5.6 to 8. I know you would have had less DOF on your subject but as long as the eyes were sharp the image would be sucessful and the BG would have been much smoother.... Just a thought.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Agree with suggestions Glad you made it out of that swamp alive !!!!! Your efforts were rewarded !!!! Well worth doing the PS enhancement Fine image !!!!