PDA

View Full Version : The Flow

Andrew Aveley
11-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Converted using Nik Silver EFX 2. Same venue as previous underexposed Sea Scape. Any suggestions on composition if any? Not much room to work with from this vantage point behind or down to left. Canon 5Dmk 2 , 16-35 mm F2.8 @35mm , Tripod and remote release ISO 200 , F 11 , 0,4s

dankearl
11-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Very cool shot, Andrew. I like the processing, gives it a 3d feel.
I like it as is, but would prefer it cropped at the bottom just above the FG rocks.

Jay Gould
11-16-2011, 01:31 AM
I too like it and would play with eliminating the center foreground rock; keeping the other foreground rock.

Rachel Hollander
11-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Andrew - the b&w treatment works well and augments the power of the swirling water. I like it as is but agree with Dan and Jay on an alternate crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will play with various options and may reposition if ocean doesn't try and claim me and my gear :eek3:

Grady Weed
11-16-2011, 08:09 PM
As mentioned, the foreground rock sticks out, also the right side top dark spot does. But it still works for me. I love the shades of gray, the subtle tones in the left long rock is real nice. You can see the pock marks in the rock, a bonus. The long exposure makes a great alternate view. But if you can go back, keep safe while doing so. Just zoom in some and keep the full frame. I bet this makes a nice 12x18 print!

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Getting the framing of the BG rock is a master-stroke; well done.

In the FG, either crop all the rocks in the bottom out or clone out the clipped one in the center.

Roman Kurywczak
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Andrew,
Agree about the rocks but the conversion works and the recommended twekas wil take it over the top.

Andrew Aveley
11-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions .

This is as shot so have room to crop and maybe remove the fg rocks. @ Grady this is a really great section of my local coast line. I will next use a 24-105mm zoom to capture the same scene but will need to wait for the high tides again for the water surge. I have an image in mind as the sun sets which i am working on getting. as for the comp Robert, it was what i based the frame on and hope to use it again at various focal lengths........the hike is what limits the gear i take so its a work in progress.......... I hope to post some other images after sunset soon :) Roman thanks for the kind comments :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Andrew, the rocks and the framing of them is perfect. I'd try to create a comp with the foreground rocks unclipped if at all possible and one with just surging water in the foreground. B&W conversion here is lovely.

Andrew Aveley
11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Andrew !!

Dave Mills
11-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I like Jay's suggestion...

Andrew Aveley
11-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Thanks for commenting Jay.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Mark Wiseman
11-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi Andrew,
This is a beautiful image. I would definitely include the rocks in the foreground as it would add the necessary foreground interest and then you will have a winner.
Well done and thanks for sharing,
Mark.
:cheers:

Brendan Dozier
11-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Really nicely composed image, Andrew, and perfect for going B&W. Has a strong impact. Love the contrast of textures & tones, between the rough dark rock, and soft water. Would have to compare the different suggestions to one another to know which is best, but still nicely executed!

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Late to this one, mate...love the framing of the rock as Robert pointed out. Also dig the B&W treatment and the compelling mood. I agree on cropping some off the bottom...:t3