F4.0 500mm
Manual
Full frame
ISO 800 High overcast sky. On tripod from pontoon boat at 9:00AM
SS 1/320
Aperture 7.1
LR3 and NR done in CS5
Cloned out a twig from RHS

I have just returned from an amazing 4 week trip to Botswana, Namibia and SA. My first week was spent with Albert Froneman ( of Afrimage/ Chris van Rooyen)) who lead a fabulous workshop for 8 photographers. I learned a lot and will likely spend the next few months editing and working on the 5000 pics I took!:bg3:...already deleted 850!! A great project for these cold,dark Canadian winter nights.
I love these little birds (2 inches tall) and seeing them flit about in the reeds is like getting a glimpse of a little jewel in the foliage.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from,
Gail
Should I lighten the eye?

Sidharth Kodikal
11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome back Gail.
This is gorgeous. I love the perch and this little colorful character.
I would have him just a bit further up in the frame. A touch of fill flash (if possible) would have been great here imo.
Looking forward to more from what sounds like a super productive trip.

Brendan Dozier
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow, Gail! beautiful bird, wonderful color, and very nicely captured & composed. I think I might try lightening the eye a bit and see how it looks. You are really getting very good at this, and your enjoyment & enthusiasm comes right through the camera! Sounds like an amazing trip, can't wait to see more of your images. :S3:

Jim Crosswell
11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Beautiful image Gail! I like the pose, perch and colours. I had no idea these Kingfishers are so small. Look forward to seeing more images from your trip.

dankearl
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Gail, I thought you did your 1000th post and split!
Nice photo.
I would lighten the eye and lower the overall exposure a tad.
Envious of your trip, looking forward to more.

gail bisson
11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Gail, I thought you did your 1000th post and split!

Nah...I'm hooked. BPN is my drug of choice:bg3:
Gail

arash_hazeghi
11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
very well done, I would put the bird a bit upper in the frame but I would not touch the eye. I find that if you brighten the eye in birds that have dark eyes like KFs or Terns it makes them look unnatural compared to the real life bird

Robert Holguin
11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Real nice shot. Great looking KF and you captured it very well. Great pose and perch, and I really like how the two little leaves frame it.
Well done.

Stu Bowie
11-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Gail, seems like you had a great trip, and will have returned with numerous different species ranging from this little jewel to Elephants. I like the pose, and how the malachite is framed between the two tufts of reed. The colours are spot on, and I would leave the eye. Another vote for moving him up in the frame.

Gary Esman
11-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Only 5000? :S3:. Welcome back and you have produced a pearl. Nice look back pose, sharp, nice placement in the frame. I like how the background has produced an "X" and it is placed right behind him. Did you plan that? If you lighten the eye at all I would only lighten the catch light area. Very nice Gail.

Gary

Dumay de Boulle
11-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Those are some great photographers you got to spend time with...Im sure you had a great time and learnt a ton. Great image, love the colors and the comp is nicely balanced by the leaves and perch.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Beautifully captured image, Gail!
If at all, I may hike up the exposure of the eye a little bit in post processing.
Looking forward to more from you.
Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Groo
11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome back, Gail! Lovely portrait of this kingfisher. Those colors are just breathtaking. Nice pose and comp, would like to see it positioned upwards a wee bit more too. Looking forward to more from your trip!

gail bisson
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
A bit late but I like to post my reworked version. All I did was move the bird higher in frame but had to add a bit of canvas on the bottom