PDA

View Full Version : "Frosty" the Canada Goose.

Daniel Cadieux
11-14-2011, 06:23 AM
I stumbled upon this lone fella on the grass next to a local pond. At this time of year countless thousands of Canada Geese roost overnight on the waters of the Ottawa River close by...not a good sign this guy was alone, and all frosted up, no doubt due to the fact it likely spent the night on the grass because of injury. It did make for intriguing photography though, and a great late autumn / nearing winter type feel. The goose was on a slight slope.

Canon 7D + 100-400L @160mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handhled (elbows braced to the ground), FF, the frost toned down a bit via burn tool.

Randy Stout
11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Daniel:

Seasonal indeed, with excellent eye contact, the frost makes it special.

I might consider toning down the top of the image just the slightest bit to keep our eyes centered on the bird. There are just enough contrasty bits and highlights to pull my up there.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Dan, excellent exposure on the head, and great eye. The slope and sloping pose works well. I could do with some of your colder weather, as we are experiencing mid 30 deg C heat. :w3

Alan Murphy
11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Love seeing the frost. Although on a slope, the angle of the grasses makes me want to rotate it.

Bill Dix
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
A beautiful image; but with a slightly melancholy feel given that the bird was probably injured.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-14-2011, 06:25 PM
very nice Daniel...the frost makes all the difference.

gail bisson
11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow! You have a great ability to turn the ordinary into something lovely. The frost is so cool (pardon the pun!). The comp is great and I love the greens and yellows and oranges. A lovely complimentary Bg,
Gail

Raul Padilla
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
great frozen goose, i think they are adapted to this situations

have a good day