PDA

View Full Version : The Lonely Tree

Ken Watkins
11-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Taken in Etosha National Park, Namibia, 25th June 2011.

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm F2.8 Mk II at 70mm

F5.6, ISO 400, 1/3200

Andrew Aveley
11-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Its amazing to see the variations of this tree @ Salvatori waterhole :)Due to location of this tree in the park its not that easy to get any decent light so I would suggest a bw approach or boosting the sats a little more I was there 3 weeks earlier and managed to capture this scene with High Key Effect...........also interesting that there were a pride of Lions nearby with 2 females contact calling for some very small cubs seen 2 days earlier. It was thought the local Hyaenas got to them.........You run into them?

Ken Watkins
11-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Anfrew,

Thanks for your comment, I had no idea where this was although I suppose I should do having driven past it far to many times to remember, I wanted this to be relatively unsaturated, but I may look into a B & W.

Not much sign of Lions at all this time in Etosha, but I have more than made up for it since:S3:

Rachel Hollander
11-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Ken - I like the simplicity of the comp here. Unfortunately, I do see a slight halo at the top of the tree (those pesky blues again).

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Nicely composed, Ken, I also like the simplicity of this, and love the shape of that tree. Looks like it needs just a tiny bit of CC rotation.

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Ken,

I like the tree and the long straight horizon and the feeling of isolation the image gives. I feel the FG is distracting and needs to be cropped out (the green grass does not work for me). I would crop to the top of the green grass eight where the brown grass is uniform in texture and thickness. This gives an even edge at the bottom accentuating the sky/lane horizon.

You are producing some very nice landscapes! I am enjoying them.

Ken Watkins
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Robert,

Looking at this again, I thhink your crop idea would work very well.

Etosha, being flat and open leads to good possibilities as does Lake Kariba, I will look at a few more.

Cheers

Ken

Morkel Erasmus
11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the subdued tones in this one, and the simplistic composition. Gives me a great "feel" for the place.
A B&W would work well too...:tinysmile_shy_t:

Andrew McLachlan
11-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Ken, great suggestions already mentioned to take this one up a notch, but I really do like the simplicity and the feeling of isolation in this capture with the single tree in that vast landscape. Nice image!