PDA

View Full Version : Help with duck ID

P-A. Fortin
11-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the bad picture quality. This is the best we managed to get (it was very elusive and did not stick around for long)

Taken in early August, about 40km North of Quebec City.

At first I thought about a possible Canvasback, but it is so different from what I have in my ID guides that I would not bet a penny on this one.

Dan Brown
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I believe this is a female Common Goldeneye. The shallow slope of the forehead to the bill looks good for common apposed to Barrow's Goldeneye.

P-A. Fortin
11-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Interesting. I have to admit that the shape looks like it.

But I am confused about the eye. This one has a rather large and dark eye. Shouldn't it be smaller and yellow?

Dan Brown
11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Interesting. I have to admit that the shape looks like it.

But I am confused about the eye. This one has a rather large and dark eye. Shouldn't it be smaller and yellow?It could be that this individual just has a darker eye at this point. Or, the nictitating membrane was over the eye at capture of this image.

P-A. Fortin
11-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I have 6-7 other images and all have the dark eye, so I would go with the darker eye option.

I did not even know this was possible. I learned something tonight. Thanks!

Dan Brown
11-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I have 6-7 other images and all have the dark eye, so I would go with the darker eye option.

I did not even know this was possible. I learned something tonight. Thanks!Me too! Here's a link to some info on the eye color changes in goldeneye http://www.jstor.org/pss/4161803

Dave Irons
01-26-2012, 05:39 AM
The dark eye color and lack of white on the upper breast point to this bird being an immature. Since we don't know the date of the photo, it is pretty hard to assess exact age or presumed age, but nevertheless, this is a Common Goldeneye.

Dave Irons