PDA

View Full Version : The Wild Side

Andrew Aveley
11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Yesterday was one of those days where you could see that the sky was going to explode with colour...........alas i had work commitments that could not be changed. None the less i managed a to have 20 min next to this bay. The light was very flat and mute so I have added contrast and saturation ( more than I normally would). Tripod , Canon 5D MK2 , 16-35mm @ 16mm , 1/13 ISO 100 F22 and lee hard grad 0.6 stacked with soft grad 0.6.

Jerry van Dijk
11-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Andrew, this is amazing! What a sky! I like the various leading lines that guide the eye trough the image, as well as the pleasing color combination, although I think the image edges on the 'artificial' side (especially the blues along the horizon). I like it, but others may suggest to back of a little on the contrast and saturation.

Randy Bronkema
11-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow what a sky!!! The "GOD RAYS" as I call them really heelp pull you into the image. I also like the way the lines of water in the FG help pull your eye in as well. Maybe -1/3 or so on the sky exposure, and a slight ccw rotation. nice and sharp overall I like it

Randy

Jay Gould
11-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Mate, I would change anything except a bit of horizon level. Well captured and presented.

Andrew McLachlan
11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Andrew, love the 'god rays' the incoming water and the rocks in the foreground. Very nice work on this one. Agree on the slight rotation.

Buddy scherr
11-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I spent a lot of time exploring it, which to me makes it a keeper. Great job!

Andrew Aveley
11-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments....mmmm i was in two minds about the rotation but tend to agree with you now....:e3

Rachel Hollander
11-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Andrew - the sky is incredible. Not sure about the colors near the horizon. I tend to agree with Jerry that they feel somewhat artificial but you are the best judge of that since you were there. Did you do any shots of the sky alone? Might make some funky abstracts.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, i agree with the above Andrew. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
11-16-2011, 06:53 AM
I love the dynamics in this image, Andrew...well composed and processed. I know you like them nice and saturated, just curious about the cyan sky colour? You were there so if it was like that, leave it, otherwise maybe do a bit of a color balance adjustment in the blue and cyan channels? :w3

Andrew Aveley
11-18-2011, 12:38 AM
thanks for the further comments. The colour , mmmmmm its a difficult one due to the unusually high humidity and mist on the ocean was messing with natural colours.........I will look at your suggestion Morks but do agree with removing a little cyan even though the aqua colour on the horizon was reasonable true albeit not as saturated. It has been an interesting 2 weeks with the change of season and the sun moving across the horizon and setting over this area which has left some phenomenal colours and effects in the sunsets.......I will be trying to capture some of the red glow this weekend and hoping for some clouds :) The other posts lately are in a similar direction to sunset but from about 20km away.

Mark Wiseman
11-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi Andrew,
This is a wonderful image with an unbelievable cloud formation.
Using filters you virtually created an HDR effect. I agree with Morkel about the cyan coloured sky!!
Well done and thanks for sharing,
Mark.
:cheers: