PDA

View Full Version : Male Wood Duck

Tom Rambaut
11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
This is the Australian version of a Wood Duck. Not as colourful as the North American ones. This is the Male.

1dMK4, 500mm, 1/500 @ 9, ISO 400, EV +2/3.

Thanks, Tom

Daniel Cadieux
11-11-2011, 06:42 AM
What a cute little guy! The face superficially almost looks like a miniature Brant (which for its part looks like a miniature Canada Goose). Nice colours and details. Could go a bit lower in the frame (or crop about 35-40% off the bottom). Interesting that two species have the same name...I imagine it has "Australian" tacked in front of it?

Doug Brown
11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
The two species couldn't look any more different from one another! Like your low shooting angle, head turn, and sharpness. The crop works for me as presented.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Tom, what an interesting looking duck. never seen before...so thanks for that. liked the details. well done on the HA front.

You could have opened up a bit( f/7.1) to get even better BG blur....and/or, if possible, gone even lower.

Robert Holguin
11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Sweet shot. Lovely looking duck. Great low angle, wonderful light, and excellent detail.
Well done.

Tom Rambaut
11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
What a cute little guy! The face superficially almost looks like a miniature Brant (which for its part looks like a miniature Canada Goose). Nice colours and details. Could go a bit lower in the frame (or crop about 35-40% off the bottom). Interesting that two species have the same name...I imagine it has "Australian" tacked in front of it?

Funny you should mention that it looks like a Goose - some think it is more goose than duck. Even more strange is they are often seen in trees and lay their eggs in tree hollows.

Tom Rambaut
11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Tom, what an interesting looking duck. never seen before...so thanks for that. liked the details. well done on the HA front.

You could have opened up a bit( f/7.1) to get even better BG blur....and/or, if possible, gone even lower.

Yes I could have gone lower. I just did not want to get too wet. Tripod was sitting high in the water.

Melissa Groo
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Really nice capture, Tom. Like the low angle, the sharpness, and comp. Great work.

Ofer Levy
11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Tom, the most important thing I have done in here is converting to sRGB as it wasn't embeded. A bit of S/H, colour balance and slight darkening. Composition looks spot on to me.

arash_hazeghi
11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
excellent low angle and nice soft light