Melissa Groo
11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
500mm
Gitzo/Wimberley spread low at water's edge

ISO 640
f/5.0
1/640

This is from my weekend at the Studebaker workshop in Chagrin, Ohio about 3 weeks ago now. I think this pose was a precursor to a wing flap.

Though I know flash would have brightened up the face, and illuminated the wonderful colors esp the purple cheek patch, I kind of like the darkness here as it draws more attention to the form and lines, which is what attracted me to this shot.
Wish the eye had been a trifle sharper, should have maybe stopped down a bit.

Some processing in LR3 and CS4, added canvas to the top, cropped a bunch of the bottom, and warmed up the temp a bit. Cloned out some flying water droplets which looked like dust.

Hope you like it. All comments and critiques greatly appreciated, I learn from each and every post.

Randy Stout
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Melissa;

The profile is great, love the pose, just rising up , so alert looking. Nice color along the blues on the back.

Lovely background color.

Were you a bit underexposed because of the bright background, and had to bring it up in post?

The blacks on the head are starting to look a bit muddy. Wasn't really noticeable until I looked at it on a big monitor.

I am guessing this was on Sunday, as I didn't see this combination of pose and color.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Nailed by Randy. Killer pose and BKGR but the lack of detail in the blacks of the head caused me to clean my glasses. But they were already clean.... Most likely caused by underexposure of the original.... Confessions welcome :S3:. What mode were you in?

Melissa Groo
11-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Aiii....yes, indeedy, I think I was underexposed, Randy and Artie. I brought EXP up .20 in LR3, and also did a little Fill Light (+8). In the interest of full disclosure, am posting the original. Any ideas on if or how to fix greatly welcome.
I was in AV mode, my tried and sometimes untrue...

Arthur Morris
11-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Aiii....yes, indeedy, I think I was underexposed, Randy and Artie. I brought EXP up .20 in LR3, and also did a little Fill Light (+8). In the interest of full disclosure, am posting the original. Any ideas on if or how to fix greatly welcome. I was in AV mode, my tried and sometimes untrue...

Av mode with that light BKGR can get you in trouble but I think that the processing you described caused more problems than the original exposure. I'd go pretty much with the blacker BLACKs in the original. Increasing the EXP is OK in some cases but fill light will give you the muddy look that Randy described, the one that made me clean my glasses....

Ofer Levy
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi Melissa, a lot of potential in this lovely image! Played with it a bit - selectively manipulating the bird and BG. You can get a much better results using the RAW file....:w3

Melissa Groo
11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Wonderful job, Ofer! Thank you for that.
Just saw yours as I was about to repost my rework. Here's my quick go at it, though I think I need to spend more time.
And thanks so much for the guidance, Artie.

Tom Rambaut
11-10-2011, 10:29 PM
So so colourful. I like Ofer's repost. Like the raised pose and the golden BG colour.

Daniel Cadieux
11-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Ofer's repost looks crisp and clean, in this case leaving the darks dark was best to go. Raising the exposure by .20 and using fill by 8 points (about the max I would use) shouldn't give you such a muddy result though. You may have done some selective lightening on some areas, especially the face? Anyhow, with the reposts we can see the potential of the this wondeful image....love the pose and the glowing BG. Looks and sounds like you hadf a great time photogrpahing these colourful beauties!!

Melissa Groo
11-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Ofer's repost looks crisp and clean, in this case leaving the darks dark was best to go. Raising the exposure by .20 and using fill by 8 points (about the max I would use) shouldn't give you such a muddy result though. You may have done some selective lightening on some areas, especially the face? Anyhow, with the reposts we can see the potential of the this wondeful image....love the pose and the glowing BG. Looks and sounds like you hadf a great time photogrpahing these colourful beauties!!

Yes, I much prefer Ofer's repost, need to go back and redo this properly. And you may be right there, Daniel, I worked on the original post version a couple weeks ago and at that time might have tried to lighten the face somewhat in Photoshop while I was playing around with it.
It was a really wonderful weekend, and I came home with many images that I treasure.

Melissa Groo
11-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Melissa;

I am guessing this was on Sunday, as I didn't see this combination of pose and color.

Randy

You sure are right, Randy, this was on Sunday morning, and at a pond I hadn't been to yet.

Robert Holguin
11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Real nice shot. Love, love the pose, great background and colors. Really like Ofer's repost.
Well done.

Danny Laredo
11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Ofer repost is wonderful.
Love the pose and colors.

arash_hazeghi
11-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I love the stretch, low angle and beautiful light, Ofer's repost improved this by A LOT! looking at the orig you should have no problem raising the blacks with MK4 but it seems that the critical focus area was on the wing as opposed to the head and I think that's why the details are lacking in that area...gotta watch that focus point! :S3:

Melissa Groo
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I love the stretch, low angle and beautiful light, Ofer's repost improved this by A LOT! looking at the orig you should have no problem raising the blacks with MK4 but it seems that the critical focus area was on the wing as opposed to the head and I think that's why the details are lacking in that area...gotta watch that focus point! :S3:

Thanks Arash. Yes, gotta work on my focus point strategy. This was my first serious outing with my new camera, and still learning my way around it. Great advice!

Josh Clark
11-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Never tire of seeing Wood Duck photos and this one is not exception. Definitely looks to be the beginning of a wing flap, very interesting bow in front on the water. I love a good wing flap photo but this is just as good simply because you don't see many pose like this. Definitely different, but in a good way. :w3