PDA

View Full Version : Tree in snow

Jerry van Dijk
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Snow seems to stay away for a while, so here's one from last year. Temperatures have been so high here that all the ladybugs flew out again!
This was taken in Southern Germany at Christmas. With over 1m of snow it was truly a winter wonderland! I liked the simplicity of the landscape all dressed in white. This tree was no exception. I hope I got the whites right. I've just switched to Windows 7 which has a viewer that makes a mess of the colors. It looked good in PS, but kind of reddish in the Windows viewer. It is meant to look kind of dark and bluish, it was an overcast day.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 61mm (370 mm eq), ISO-100, f/8, 1/160s, EC +1.
ACR 6.3/CS5 Crop, WB, exposure, levels, sharpness (ACR and USM), added frameline.

Mods: feel free to move to Macro/Flora (I couldn't decide).

Andrew Aveley
11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
great negative space. I have never have shot any snow scenes but this would be what i would attempt !! :bg3:

Chris Korman
11-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Just my opinion: I am not sure I connect this one entirely. I think it may due to there being not much in the way of snow textures. The negative space does add to it, but I think there is some missing element I can't entirely put my finger on.

Jay Gould
11-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Simplicity presented; I like it. TFS.

Andrew McLachlan
11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Jerry, simple ,but very effective. I like it very much. No snow over this way as of yet...I still have moths hanging out under the porch lights at night and another week of warmer than usual weather in the forecast.

Jerry van Dijk
11-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Thank you all for commenting!
Chris, I can imagine this empty image isn't everyones cup of tea.
Andrew, I'm amazed that these temperature anomalies appear to be worldwide.

Rachel Hollander
11-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Jerry - I too like the simplicity of this.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Without some sidelight, getting texture inthe snow will be difficult. As presented I feel this works very well. I would also try a version in B&W and in color with the blue cast removed.

Jerry van Dijk
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Robert, I was contemplating the blue cast already, but now will definately try to get rid of it. I tried B&W, but did not prefer it to the color version. It made the image even more flat.

Morkel Erasmus
11-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Great simplicity here Jerry :S3:
I like the hint of colour but would also like to see this in B&W, perhaps with the contrast/structure adjusted to make the most of what detail there is in the snow...

Jerry van Dijk
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks all for commenting and helping me improve my image. Here's a version with the color cast fixed. I also applied a different way of sharpening (less in ACR, more in PS with USM). I tried various BW conversions, but kept getting back to the original version. With the new WB settings, there's hardly any difference between the color version and the default B/W conversion.

Jay Gould
11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Works for me!