PDA

View Full Version : A Long Walk

Ken Watkins
11-10-2011, 05:14 AM
This Giraffe makes his slow way, in blazing sun, to Okondeka Waterhole, Etosha National Park, Namibia. 28th June 2011.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from our vehicle

F8, ISO 320 (:2eyes2:), 1/2500

Ofer Levy
11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Hi Ken, you got the sRGB right! :w3
I see a halo though.

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Ken - I like the comp with the wide open plains and the birds add to it. I also see a halo, particularly down the back of the neck and back.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
11-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Any ideas from anyone as to what is going on here, no S/H, no adjustments to blues, NR on BG in layer, no selections using Magic Wand I used same process on my Avian post today yet no halo noticed. Does this only occur with blue?

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Nice scene, yet I too see the halo :e3...might be because of some adjustment in RAW conversion, Ken? What do you do with the "recovery" and "fill light" sliders?

Hilary Hann
11-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Ken, I've also seen more halos with blue skies but haven't done any research on the why. I wonder if Roger could suggest reasons as he is very up on technical issues. Nice photo.

Ken Watkins
11-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice scene, yet I too see the halo :e3...might be because of some adjustment in RAW conversion, Ken? What do you do with the "recovery" and "fill light" sliders?

In this image nothing at all was done in converting from RAW, I think I had better send a PM to Roger

Roger Clark
11-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Ken,

I got you pm. I see the halo too. What raw converter are you using? I'm using ACR in photoshop CS5 and I have not noticed any halos produced by the raw conversion. I believe the highlight recovery tool works by changing the characteristic curve of an individual pixel in the output image but ignoring the saturated channel. Thus, I have not seen evidence that there is any large radius of pixels involved, only those red, green and blue pixels next to each other. Thus recovery shouldn't produce a halo (at least I've never noticed any).

So if you've not done and selections with contrast adjustments (including levels and curves), nor any shadow highlight tool, I'm at a loss to explain what is causing it. Please give us more info on the work flow.

Roger

Ken Watkins
11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi Roger,

The raw was converted in ACR no adjustments made.

As I recall, no adjustments were made using anything other than layers, No shadow highlights, I will start again and see what I can find. Watch this space:bg3:

Roger Clark
11-11-2011, 12:19 AM
As I recall, no adjustments were made using anything other than layers,

Hi Ken,

That might be a key. What was done with layers?

Roger

Ken Watkins
11-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Here is a repost, is the halo still noticable?

I know colours etc. are not the same so direct comparison is not possible, but is the halo still there?

Dumay de Boulle
11-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Prefer the original, the colors are richer the repost is too cool...I see the halo in the original but to me it looks fine. I seem to see halos more regularly on shots against Blue sky...Wish I knew why!

Harshad Barve
11-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Very nice image indeed
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Prefer the original, the colors are richer the repost is too cool...I see the halo in the original but to me it looks fine. I seem to see halos more regularly on shots against Blue sky...Wish I knew why!

Dumay,

The repost was just to see if anybody could stll see the halo, as I tried an updated version during my processing.

I prefer the OP as well, you have to look hard, or at least I do, to pick out the halo.

I have always found this to be a problem with blues.

Roger Clark
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Here is a repost, is the halo still noticable?

I know colours etc. are not the same so direct comparison is not possible, but is the halo still there?

Hi Ken,

Yes, on my calibrated monitor, I see a halo. It is not as prominent as the original, but still there.

Roger

Ken Watkins
11-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Roger,

Thanks I thought it was less, so at least I am getting nearer to finding out what causes it

Andy Biggs
11-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Ken, are you using the paintbrush perhaps?

Ken Watkins
11-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Andy,

Thanks for the question, but the answer to your question is no. I am still investigating with no real luck so far.