PDA

View Full Version : Caracal mom

laurie golden
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
We found this mother caracal hunting in the lower Mara while her two kittens were hiding nearby. We felt extremely lucky to see and photograph her (and the kittens) on a trip that was full of cats.

Nikon D3S, 500mm f4 plus 1.4 converter
ISO 800, F9, 1/800 sec
Manual exposure

Harshad Barve
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
No C & C from me as I want to seat back and enjoy this frame
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Laurie,

Now this has rarity value, not normally seen in daylight except it seems in the Mara.:S3::S3:

To me this looks a tad oversharpened and a little too bright, just dragging down the middle in curves would improve this a lot (thanks to Robert for this tip)

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Nice to see you posting here Laurie!

Lovely sighting indeed...Ken has already mentioned what seems like oversharpening on the coat (the fur looks a bit 'frizzy' :w3) and I agree that toning down overall brightness will help here. You can look at the "sticky threads" to get links to Robert's excellent tutorials for handling bright highlights through a luminosity mask. :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Laurie - Great sighting. Good suggestions above to improve this image. I hope you'll post some of the kittens.

TFS,
Rachel

Pieter de Waal
11-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi Laure a rarity and wonderful oppertunity, detail looks good. The sharpening and light issues have been mentioned and following the suggestions will make this a lovely image.

laurie golden
11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions for improvement. I have to confess that I just started using Topaz and have been experimenting with many adjustments - perhaps a little to much. I will go back to the original and be more conservative in the future.