PDA

View Full Version : 10 point Whitetail Deer Buck.

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Every year at his time dozens of local photographers can be found on weekend mornings photographing the very tame wild and free whitetail deer found at this particular location. The females and younger individuals come hoping for food and actually feed out of hand, while the bucks come close too, often close enough for full-frame head portraits. Here is one very healthy buck that came out of the woods to possibly investigate potential mates...the rut is on full force and it is best not to place yourself between a buck and his does!

Canon 7D + 100-400L @210mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/7.1, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, full frame.

Arthur Morris
11-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Sharp with a good EXP but not a bird :S3:. The grass/woods line across the top of the head is a mild distraction for me. Did you have your ladder?

Harshad Barve
11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Love the image with great pose and techs
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Daniel,

Great image, I wish that Leopard would do this, sometimes Wild Dog do:bg3:

Grant Atkinson
11-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Super shot Daniel, the image looks very well processed and very sharp. I see the 'horizon' line that Arty mentioned but for me it is enough OOF to not be much of a distraction. I also like how the band of dark green BG makes the antlers really stand out. Good work with this one.
TFS
cheers
Grant

Morkel Erasmus
11-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Nice to see you posting some wildlife, DanCad :S3:
Lovely light, details and pose...like Grant, the dark band in the BG doesn't really distract for me and actually makes the antlers 'pop'...:t3

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Daniel - Nice light and color on this very fine portrait. I like the HA too and like Grant and Morkel, the line isn't a problem for me due to the separation between the deer and the bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Daniel Cadieux
11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks all! I started by taking images from a higher vantage point but thought the antlers got lost a bit in the sea of dry grass, so I deliberately crouched down lower to get them agaisnt the darker forest BG. I would have liked to go even lower to put that line in a better spot but then I was drowning in that sea of grass!:bg3: (you can start to see some OOF blades in the FG)

Steve Canuel
11-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice looking buck. The horizon line of trees is well placed for my taste and gives a little hint of the meadow/woods habitat.

DanWalters
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Beautiful whitetail. Nice light and very sharp. Like the grasses surrounding the deer.