PDA

View Full Version : Mooooo

Judy Howle
11-08-2011, 11:22 PM
This longhorn cow is one of my favorite photos of the year! I just used Topaz Clean and toned down some of the bright leaves in the background trees. Not too much OOTB but I really like the way it turned out.

denise ippolito
11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Judy, The subject seems a little centered but this head turn position is a tough one. I like the way the BG looks soft and out of focus. I like the subtle effect of the Clean filter.

Dennis Bishop
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I like the way the colors work together, and the markings on the cow are great. The background and the transition from the foreground to background are both very effective. Maybe that's what Topaz Clean does ... (I'm signed up for the Simplify/Clean webinar on Monday, so I'll find out, then.) In order to separate the dark part of the cow from the background a bit more, I might've tried lightening the background just a little. A combination of Nik Color Efex Pro Contrast and a masked brightness/contrast layer would probably work for that.

Judy Howle
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Denise!

Judy Howle
11-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks Dennis. On my monitor the cow stands out from the background but I'll take another look at it.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Judy,

Greetings. Like the "look" & think the composition works well for the position. Appears to have a magenta cast to my eye. A dash warmer would add some pop, too.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Judy, she's a beautiful cow. I esp like the bit of grass hanging out of her mouth and the subtle Clean filtering.:S3:

Judy Howle
11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Judy,

Greetings. Like the "look" & think the composition works well for the position. Appears to have a magenta cast to my eye. A dash warmer would add some pop, too.

Cheers,

-Michael-
Thanks Michael! I agree it does have a magenta cast which I didn't notice. I'll correct it when I have time.

Judy Howle
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks Cheryl!

Mitch Carucci
11-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Judy,

I love the expression in the longhorns face! I like this pic. A few years back, I had the opportunity to spend a day on a longhorn ranch. As an Easterner, it was an amazing experience. They also had other breeds, but I was told that the longhorns would protect ALL the cattle from predators.

M.