View Full Version : Young Swan Portrait

Joe Senzatimore
11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
From todays outing at a local pond.

800 ISO f5.6 at 1/3200th

Randy Stout
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Joe:

Lovely detail, fine water beading, like the head angle. Exposure fine.

Just a little tight on the side for me.

Cheers

Randy

Doug Brown
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
A bit more canvas on the left would help IMO. You've got great detail in the head, but sharpness falls off on the neck. I would have traded a bit of SS for enough DOF to get the neck sharp.

Brendan Dozier
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Great looking swan, and nice portrait, Joe. Like the HA, detail and water beads are nice touch. Agree about adding some more on left and a bit more dof to get details of neck in.

arash_hazeghi
11-09-2011, 03:42 AM
elegant portrait you did well

denise ippolito
11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Joe, I love Mute Swans, I know many don't. They make great subjects. This young one has a lot of appeal. Nice sharp head and eye. I agree w/ Doug's thoughts and I might remove the second catchlight. Exposure looks perfect and the water drops on the head are killer!:S3:

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm normally fine with DOF when the eye is sharp, but in this case I agree stopping down was a good option with all the SS speed and distant BG you had. Still a very nice portrait, lots of good detail, perfect exposure, and very neat sprinkling of water drops.

Dan Behm
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
fine portrait image of this bird the water drops and vivid sharpness really make this nice, however I may also have opted for stopping down to increase overall dof based on the shutter speed you had. also perhaps adding room the the left of the frame would maybe strengthen this image as well along with removal of the catchlight.

Dan