PDA

View Full Version : A crunchy snack for junior - Common loon

Randy Stout
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
This adult loon was captured on the same day as the pair I posted two days ago. Same family.
It was a magical morning. Dark, somber and one of the best loon outings ever for me.

D700 600VR 1.4 TC f/5.6 1/160s ISO 800 SB800 with beamer for fill Camera mounted on a pedestal in the bottom of my little boat, Loonie Too.

The breast was not showing much detail. I used a new tip from Artie to help tame the whites. Nik Color Efex Pro. Used a combination of several different filters on the breast. I will let Artie give you the details when he posts on this technique, but I think this is going to be an exciting new tool for those of us who shoot birds with whites and darks, where the exposure is always a bit of a challenge.

DOF not much, wish the crawdad was a bit sharper, but I was right on the edge at these settings with this much focal length in a moving boat!

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Great exposure, love the reflection in the eye and the colors on the neck. Just wish the little crustacean was also in focus.

Gary.

denise ippolito
11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Randy, The eye is terrific. I like seeing the horizon so clearly in it. Nice details and the green water is a nice accent. I agree w/ your self critique but must have been nice to get so close.:S3:

Joe Senzatimore
11-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Small problems mentioned , I still wish it were mine. Stunning.

Jim Crosswell
11-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Nice image Randy! I like the eye, exposure and water colour. It must be great fun being so close to these loons.

Doug Brown
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Looks like an effective way of controlling the whites in post. I'll be honest; I can't get past the OOF crawdad, even though you've got great detail in the bird.

Stu Bowie
11-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Randy, great angle on the head, and just love how the droplets stand out against the greens. The horizon line in the eye reminds me of the bubble in a spirit level. You seem to have your flash work sorted, as it is subtle, but effective. Shooting from your boat sure creates a great perspective.

Brendan Dozier
11-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Excellent IQ and color on this, Randy. Really like the angle of view and details of that eye.

Robert Holguin
11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Wow!!! Excellent image, wonderful detail, great head angle, and love the water color.
Well done.

Randy Stout
11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the input!

I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Randy