View Full Version : Melbourne Blues

Santanu Banik
11-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Melbourne at dusk
40D, 16mm @ F/22, ISO 100, Manual, 110 sec

http://www.frozenforeternity.com/images/data/media/17/_MG_9663_new_web.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice skyline here Santanu. At first glance the horizon seemed skew but taking it into PS I saw it was straight, but maybe just showing a slight curvature due to lens distortion. Did you do distortion correction in processing? :S3:

I love the blues and the elongated reflections. I couldn't help but play with it a bit in B&W...I used a yellow filter then adjusted it towards green to get some detail in the clouds. It's also quite funky if you run a red filter - try it! I also cropped from top and bottom for a pano presentation. What do you think?

Santanu Banik
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks Morkel for the suggestions and the repost - i liked the pano crop. Yes, I did the distortion correction in post.
Will try the channels :)

Don Railton
11-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Hello Santanu

I like the Skyline also but i feel you have left too much empty/negative space in the sky which reduces 'interest' in the image. I would crop the sky to just above the crane on the RHS, and also crop the foreground to just above your tag. This should provide more detail in the Skyline and i think make a stonger image. Not sure you needed to go to F22 when the foreground is so devoid of detail. You might end up with better image sharpness at F 8 to 12 (ish) without loosing any detail (due to OOF) in the city. Note that at at F22 you will have more diffusion and this will compromise sharpness, although maybe you wanted the 'starburst' effect F22 provides with the lights...

thanks for showing

DON

Santanu Banik
11-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks Don for the suggestions. I agree to all of them and yeah the only reason to go for F/22 was to get few starry effect on the point light sources.

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2011, 09:02 AM
The blue looks nice as does the reflection. The long exposure worked well. I agree with the suggestion to take some off the top.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Santanu, the pano crop in Morkels version seems like a good idea, but I like the blues in your original! Good suggestions by Don about aperture. There seem to be some nice cloud structures in the sky. Playing around with micro-contrast (clarity) might bring them out a bit better and might add some extra interest.
I don't agree that the image is straight: I would apply CCW rotation to have the quay crossing the image frame at the same hight left and right.

Andrew Aveley
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Original blues and pano crop> Thats a great scene and well the suggestions barring BW are top notch :)

Andrew McLachlan
11-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi Santanu, lovely blues. Agree with above suggestions. Nice work!

Robert Amoruso
11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry it took me so long to catch up here.

I would agree with the above suggestions.

Santanu Banik
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions and support! :S3: