Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/30"
F8
ISO 100
Tripod
CS5

Shoot indoors with a quickly improvised sort of lightbox. I took a medium sized cardboard box, removed the top and one of the small sides and lined the bottom with a piece of white foam board. I put a sheet of clear acrylic over the top, put a sheet of white paper on top of that and then the leaves on top of the paper. A floodlight aimed at the foam board completed the setup.

Cropped, repaired a few small holes in the leaves, curves to get the BG nice and white, contrast, SH, high pass and smart sharpening. I thought a larger CW rotation would look better but after trying it, I went back to this which is pretty much how it came out of the camera.

Julie Kenward
11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Nice image, Ken! Very clean and it really shows off the details of the leaves. I also like how it's a bit caddy wampus in the layout - not a straight up and down orientation of the leaves - it really gives it much more personality!

Brendan Dozier
11-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Love the clean composition, and great shape, color and details in leaf. Nice work, Ken!

Steve Maxson
11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Ken. This is little different setup than what I've been using, but it's equally effective. Love the colors, patterns, sharpness, and comp! This is very well done!

jack williamson
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
This is very nice Ken. The detail and the exposure is right on. This orientation looks natural with the stem straight up and down.

Anita Bower
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Lovely. I like the simplicity and clean look of this image. Well done! thanks for sharing your homemade lightbox!

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Simplicity rocks! I love the colors, the shape of the leaf, and the high key look. And to think that I thought that you just placed the leaf on a light box and photographed it! You did a lot of work but the results are fantastic!

Ken Childs
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks to all for your kind comments. :S3: