PDA

View Full Version : Theme First winter ring-billed gull at super-low angle

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Still not finding time for photography. this one is from last winter that I dont think I had posted. from my favorite duck pond. almost full frame. Note the off-angle light. When light is from my left and bird facing me, I always click when the bird is angled towards me from left to right....so that the light hits the bird square and nice. Swimming ducks and gulls always change angles. So its a matter of paying attention to this and clicking when everything comes together.

I dont like to give up the low angle...so I dont always move a lot to point my shadow at the bird. It usually means going higher as I never have a large piece of bank that is so low. In a given position, I mentally define an arc in front of me( few degrees to right and few to left) and click when birds come close to me (within that area).....always paying attention to the angle of the body and the head and their relation to the light angle.

40D. 400 f5.6L at f/7.1. iso 400. 1/3200s.

All C&C welcome.

Randy Stout
11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
KD:

Superb angle, sharp, good DOF, smooth BG.

Nice description of your shooting strategy. I do tend to shoot also when the light is not square to the bird at times, to give varying degrees of shadows to help define the detail.

Hope circumstances allow you to get out again soon.

Your ducks are missing you!

Cheers

Randy

Dumay de Boulle
11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Top class stuff...Great light, exp and BG!

Stu Bowie
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Simply sweet KD. The low perspective and angle of capture works really well, and you have exposed this nicely. I just love the layered pastel coloured BG. You certainly are a master at these low angles, and thanks for sharing your technique.

laurie golden
11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
The low angle is perfect and the colors makes it a very special photo.

Robert Holguin
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Wonderful shot. I love love the shooting angle, lovely background, great detail, and excellent light.
Well done.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Masterfully done, Kaustubh. One of the prettiest gull images I've seen. Signature low angle, gorgeous light and colors.
Love the comp too.

Alan Murphy
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Just stunning. A beautiful image.

Terry Olmsted
11-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for your tips /techniques! Wonderful pov - feels like you were in the water with the bird! One of my
favorite gulls. Inspirational work and suggestions!
Terry

dankearl
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Gorgeous, about perfect.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Beautiful colors great low angle and you got the light spot on. I'm working on remembering this added info since you shared it with me before.

Daniel Cadieux
11-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Wonderful Image KD. Great low angle, nice details, and spot on techs. Check ou the perfect subtle HA towards us:S3: These guys are absolutely gorgeous in their fresh breeding plumage in March / April...

Petros Petrou
11-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Perfect exposure and Great detail! I haven't seen this Gull species before. TFS

denise ippolito
11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Kaustubh, Beautiful low angle, sharp details and pose, not to mention the gorgeous water and BG.:S3:

Roger Clark
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Kaustubh,

Beautiful image and thanks for the description. I like the sun to the left in this case as it gives nice form on the right edge. Phase angle looks to be about 15 to 20 degrees. Having the bird slightly off square would also work and would increase feather texture if rotated clockwise a few degrees (as viewed from above). But the image is very nice as is.

Roger

Ofer Levy
11-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Stunning image! Maybe a bit tight on the left but still lovely!!!

Dan Behm
11-10-2011, 03:21 AM
Everything is working here so nicely, great low angle. excellent head turn,BG to die for with the rich colors and gradient. a viewing pleasure!

Dan