PDA

View Full Version : Covered Bridge with Reflection

joel quenneville
04-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I made this image last summer in New Hampshire. I was attracted to the reflection in the pool of water.

Nikon D70s
Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 @ 35mm
ISO 400
1/100s
f/10

Roman Kurywczak
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Joel,
I'm a huge fan of reflections. That being said...your choice of puddles/eddies in this instance brought in a lot of stuff that isn't all that pleasant to the overall image. Next time..try this......you see the puddle in front of the rocks behind your reflection. I can gaurantee you that the bridge is also reflected in that one.........but you have to get lower to see it. Same goes for the puddle to the right of your reflection. By going forward or right, you would have eliminated the distracting branches and downed tree coming into your image. How low......by the rocks.......probably lying on the ground....puddle to right of your reflection....knee high. Every puddle makes a reflection........it's just how low can you go! Try it,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Joel,

I think Roman had some good suggestions on how to rearrange the elements of scenes like this. I like the leaved branch coming on from the left but not the dead ones. I like the color of the bridge contrasted with the colors of the forest. The roof of the bridge looks a bit hot. It could be just an optical illusion but I think you need a CCW rotation. I am looking at the vertical timbers in the bridge seem to be rotated right. I would suggest more depth of field was also needed to get near to far in better focus.

Do you have any more bridge images - would like to see more. Thanks for posting.

Alfred Forns
04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Joel Agree with previous and can add the image seems busy? I'm not sure what to look at here? The bare branches are not helping much

Probably the strong attraction for the reflection kept you from moving around and experimenting other vantage points !!!!

Grady Weed
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
This is the Albany Covered Bridge. and it can be quite beautiful when imaged properly. You made a nice go of it here but it does need improvements. Not that i am a super photographer, but I will go over and do it for a different perspective when we have more green stuff to go with it. Thanks for posting this one.