PDA

View Full Version : Guess the Species

Bob Pelkey
11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Guess the Species

I suspect many wildlife photographers infrequently capture images like this with an effort to in fact avoid them.

This species of bird flew in from behind me 2 NOV 11 at Bunche Beach Preserve in Fort Myers, Florida about two miles ENE from Sanibel Lighthouse in San Carlos Bay.

Moderate crop. Image rotated about five degrees to give the appearance of it as level. Camera Raw: sharpening 25, radius 1.0, detail 25 fill light 8, blacks 5, brightness +50, contrast +25, vibrance +43, clarity +21. JPEG brightness +18, contrast +10, Unsharp Mask 75%, .7 pixels, threshold 5 levels. Outlined bird from upper left with lasso tool and applied Reduce Noise: strength 10, preserve details 3%, reduce color noise 5% (all done in less than two minutes).

Criticism very much welcomed as well.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_ii) ,Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_600_4is)
1/5000s f/7.1 at 840.0mm iso800

<tbody>
Full EXIF Info

Date/Time
02-Nov-2011 16:00:53

Make
Canon

Model
Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Flash Used
No

Focal Length
840 mm

Exposure Time
1/5000 sec

Aperture
f/7.1

ISO Equivalent

Exposure Bias
-2/3

White Balance

Metering Mode
matrix (5)

JPEG Quality

Exposure Program
aperture priority (3)

Focus Distance
56.7 m

</tbody>

Marina Scarr
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Bob, I really like this picture. The graduated BG works very well and the colors are work great together. I love the plumage on this one. I think it's probably a Greater Yellowlegs but could be a Lesser maybe. For me it's tough to tell without seeing the beaks. Love the dangling feet. This is a keeper!!

Doug Brown
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm going with Short-Billed Dowitcher, as I spent some time with the species in Northern California in September.

Arthur Morris
11-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Worn juvenile Short-billed Dowitcher (well done Doug) molting to first winter plumage. I love the image, the feather patterns and the symmetry. And the soft light and the sharpness. I often advise students, "Don't be scared to press the shutter button when most folks would not."

Bob Pelkey
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm going with Short-Billed Dowitcher, as I spent some time with the species in Northern California in September.

SBDO it is, Doug. Thanks for your commentary Marina. I was thinking of the graduation of the image in the crop (at 1/3) with much I've learned here at BPN.

I'm expecting Artie to take his troop to this venue (Bunche) during his 2012 President's IPT. If not, they'll be missing a lot.

The President's Tour has intrigued me since learned so close of it to home. Hopefully they'll get Burrowing Owl mating behavior this year.

I'm curious to know the new perspective chosen at Venice Rookery. Remarkable venue.

It would be a boon to see Alfred and Fabiola Forns here again as well.

The water temperature has been fluctuating greatly in the shallows so far this season. It's been warmer this week since last. Warmer is better.

It was sad to re-read of that unhappy camper (poor weather conditions likely) in the 2011 President's IPT. . . http://www.birdsasart.com/bn363.html

Doug Brown
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I posted this frame a while back that helped me with the ID.

Bob Pelkey
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Worn juvenile Short-billed Dowitcher (well done Doug) molting to first winter plumage. I love the image, the feather patterns and the symmetry. And the soft light and the sharpness. I often advise students, "Don't be scared to press the shutter button when most folks would not."

Many hours of observation required.

Bob Pelkey
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I posted this frame a while back that helped me with the ID.

Great comparison.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Bob, loved this image...the tail spread take it over the top. stunning details. Thx for sharing.