PDA

View Full Version : Autumn's Last Light

Julie Kenward
11-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I was out walking in the woods the other day when the sun came bursting forth and I followed my eyes to this little patch of leaves just off the beaten path. I've always said some of the best images are in the every day stuff you see that most people would look right past; this seems to me to be a good example.

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
f6.3 @ 1/250th, ISO 400
Daylight WB, Handheld, evaluative metering
Processed in CS5; curves and saturation adjustments to lighten/brighten some of the darker areas, small cloning on leaves

Bob Miller
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi Jules....The more I look at this the more I like it! The light...the shadows, and even the busy bg all seem to work together nicely! Nicely seen and handled well.

Tomislav Kljucaric
11-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Beautiful colors and mood. Well done.

Julie Kenward
11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Thank you Bob and Tomislav...appreciate the feedback!

Ken Childs
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey Jules, while I find this one interesting and I like the subtle colors, I can't really decide how I feel about it. I think the problem is that I can't decide where I should be looking....all those lines and shadows are pulling my eye all over the place.

You already have 2 compliments on this image so maybe it's just me. I'll be interested to see what other comments you get.

Steve Maxson
11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Jules. Nice subtle lighting plus good comp and sharpness. Like Ken, I'm being somewhat distracted from your subject by the dark lines in the background. I think it would help to blur the more distinct portions of the lines (particularly those on the right side) a little more. Part of the issue is that the foreground and background colors are so similar that it's easy for my eye to slip from one to the other. :S3:

Dennis Bishop
11-12-2011, 09:25 AM
This is the type of thing I like to find, too. Really great stuff. I like the play of the branches in the background and think they're already soft enough -- in both color and focus -- not to be distracting. This is probably another one of those things that don't affect everyone the same way. To me, it's a lovely image.

Julie Kenward
11-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank you, Dennis, for the comment. I also do not find the branches in the BG distracting because of how I placed them within the frame surrounding the leaves. I do agree that it's hard to find a focal point because it's all so tonally monotone so I'll take another look at that point!